Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Twelve Rules to assist your service representative.

uffex · 2018-12-20 13:43

1/ If at all possible only call the service specialist after all and sundry have dabbled adjusted ,whacked with a hammer with out success. 2./ When describing the machine location be as vague as possible remember a two hundred mile detour will make certain the dealers profits are cut to the bone . ( Always complain that the arrival time from service call was to long ) 3./ As the service guy arrives to check in to the site ask what was wrong with the machine to give the impression that the machine has been fixed and the service guy was just leaving the site, then ask how long before its fixed. 4./ Welcome the representative by explaining that the competition always provide a stand by machine in such circumstances. 5./ Make dam sure that the site staff have been briefed to tell the service guy nothing which may be of assistance to fix the machine , use the standard answers such as "I am not the regular driver " or "I was of sick at the time " 6./ Try to have at least six site operatives around when the service guy commences work to comment on his ability ,if he has made the correct assessment of the trouble , if he has the correct equipment which the six must borrow and omit to return . 7./ Repeat the question "How long before the machine is fixed " 8./When the service guy smiles with glee that the machine is up and running wipe the smile from his face by stating that this was normal form for the machine and that the trouble does not show up until the machine has made half a shift at least. 9./ Reluctantly assign a person to assist with the repair , remember this person must have the following qualifications , Must not know the bucket from the counterweight- frequently requires to toilet (If at all possible whilst holding heavy parts from crushing the service guys fingers ). Be disabled in some way 10./ Do not attempt to clean the machine this must at least be blathered in five gallons of oil & dirt per. Mt. Sq. Our service guys love a challenge ask him to fix the leak. 11./ As soon as the machine has been fixed ask if the parts were really needed , as in normal circumstances your own fitter could have fixed the machine in half the time and not have used any parts. 12./ Write to the service chief immediately complain that this is the worst service you have experienced and the machine still is not quite right so don't send any bill. 13./ wait for the service guy to pickup all of his tools and finished paperwork to tell him that there are other issues that you need him to repair before he leaves. (Pauls Idea)

Replies18
  1. #1BigWrench552018-12-20 14:10

    You said it. 13./ wait for the service guy to pickup all of his tools and finished paperwork to tell him that there are other issues that you need him to repair before he leaves.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2018-12-20 16:43

    Lol.. I love it.!!!

  3. #3funwithfuel2018-12-20 17:24

    Standard Operating Procedure Nothing new, they all read from the same book. That was terrific

  4. #492U 34062018-12-20 17:41

    Many of those reasons are why I'm leaving the field and taking on a shop role. Loved being outdoors, tired of dealing with all of the above every day.

  5. #5crane operator2018-12-20 18:12

    Ah, now you will just get to be the guy who gets it on each end of the phone calls. The customer is ticked because the bill was too high, and the tech was too slow, and now something else is broke and your guy must have done it. The other end is - the tech's are ripped at you too, because you didn't pass on any of the right info, they will never be able to fix the problem in that amount of time, you didn't order or receive the right parts, and don't you know - its tuesday and they are off at 1:30 to go pick their cat up from the vet. You've just swapped iron problems for telephone problems....

  6. #6kshansen2018-12-20 19:52

    Those rules reminded me of a Euclid service bulletin I found many years ago. You will note the date down in the left corner is 9/69 so they are nothing new!

  7. #7kshansen2018-12-20 19:56

    And while I'm at it might as well post the other side of the service bulletin for the more technical guys here!

  8. #892U 34062018-12-20 21:09

    I did about 50% of my time in the business in the shop. I'm quite happy to be going back. There are about a dozen major projects in my area and every one of them has different rules. Just way more of a hassle than the extra few pennies it pays.

  9. #9funwithfuel2018-12-20 21:11

    A little off topic, any of you guys remember the turbo entabulator?

  10. #10ianjoub2018-12-20 21:41
  11. #11funwithfuel2018-12-20 21:43

    I'll take that as a big yes

  12. #12John C.2018-12-21 01:16

    I think I can look at that list from the customer side; Never expect a call out for a field mechanic to show up on time or many times on the day he was promised. Have all the local choke and pukes scoped out on a map for where the field mechanics stop for breakfast or break times before showing up on your site. You will likely find the assigned field wrench enjoying a large breakfast on your dollar in one of those spots before showing up. Don't worry much about supplying a history of the problems as they will tell you what is wrong with your operator first, your maintenance practices second and then how crappy the outfit you are working for is. Be aware that he will require parts no matter what the problem actually is and then will leave the site to go get them without mentioning that to anyone. Be aware that when the mechanic is running for parts he won't be back on site till the next day if at all. Also be aware that another mechanic might be assigned to the job now who will show up to your job with no parts because the first mechanic provided no information to the second mechanic. If the job requires special tools to accomplish, that mechanic will not remember them or will bring an old or inferior tool that requires nearly double the time it takes to accomplish the task. Be afraid of the mechanic who shows up on site and says wow, this is the first one one of these that I've ever worked on. Be afraid of the mechanic who shows up on site and says I thought these were obsolete twenty years ago. What information do you have on it? Be afraid when the mechanic has worked on the machine for a week and then calls someone else in to help and the second guy sits in the truck reading computer instructions and yelling them at the first mechanic. Expect a phone call when the two mechanics don't show up saying that there is a huge bill on the machine now and the mechanics won't be back out until the bill is paid first. How may of these do you recognize and how many more can we come up with?

  13. #13uffex2018-12-21 04:16

    real nice to see such a sense of humour from all you guys have a good Christmas or whatever you celebrate Kind regards Uffex

  14. #14thepumpguysc2018-12-21 07:00

    John, almost EVERY ONE of them would happen at my old shop.. 1 of the many reasons I left. It was embarrassing.. U cant fly w/ the eagles if u work w/ a bunch of turkeys..

  15. #1592U 34062018-12-21 07:43

    Rules for being a service dispatcher: Never ask for model/make/serial number. Never ask the customer for a description of the problem, codes, symptoms etc. Give the mechanic the contact information for the guy who is off shift so that you can **** him off with a 7am phone call asking for the information in points 1 and 2. Call the mechanic every 20-30 minutes to remind him where he needs to be. Promise 3-5 other customers that the mechanic will be there ASAP (even though you just sent him 2 hours up the road to do a 5 hour job). Proceed to tell the mechanic he has to attend the above mentioned calls before he can go home (this leads to a big verbal argument the next morning when they try and dispatch you on 2 new jobs while you still have the 3 from the day prior).

  16. #16BigWrench552018-12-21 08:14

    I don’t doubt you have had experiences like that John. It’s unfortunate that there are mechanics in trucks that don’t have a clue or any business being in a service truck. And unfortunately I see it more and more field mechanics not showing up on job sites and still billing the customer. When I started in this business you didn’t go into the field unless you absolutely knew what you were doing. And now companies put anyone with a crescent wrench in a truck and all the guys with experience are in the shop. It’s bad for everyone involved and drives prices up and wages down. Merry Christmas to all and happy new year.

  17. #17crane operator2018-12-21 09:33

    I just reread your job changing post- I thought you were changing from turning wrenches into the service dispatcher- you're just going to be in the shop now instead of the field, but still turning wrenches? I'd be all over turning wrenches vs. wrangling the phone. Sorry I was confused.

  18. #1892U 34062018-12-21 11:23

    Yep! I had to make a change. I felt I'd gone as far as I could in that role. I moved over to the dealership side of the company so I feel there is much more room to advance.