Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Type B ATF? Spec on a 30yo scissor lift. Need oil

fastline ยท 2020-10-10 14:50

I am working on an old scissor and will need to add oil. The tank is marked for "Type B ATF with Dextron"..... The system is Kmart simple. The single hydro pump appears to be a gear pump, then some 12V solenoids, and the two lift and 4 outrigger cylinders. There are also 2 hydro drive motors. I am not sure this system would be all that picky about oil, but getting the viscosity close might be advisable. What came out appeared to be a mix of whatever, and was thicker than ATF for sure, but did have some red color to it. Thoughts on a replacement oil?

Replies2
  1. #1Delmer2020-10-10 16:22

    According to wikipedia, the original 1967 Dexron spec was "type B". So I'd go with any basic 5 gallon bucket meeting the most basic mercon dexron specs. Or whatever ATF you have around that you don't have the vehicle for anymore.

  2. #2fastline2020-10-10 17:18

    Yeah, I was kind of headed that way! I mean, for what the thing does, using a little higher viscosity would probably just extend cycle times.......but it is a scissor lift! lol Subject to minimal hydraulic demand!