Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Type of oil in the chain case of 1845C

caseaddict01 ยท 2009-12-28 08:56

I know it's 10W30, but can I just use my local auto parts brand 10W30 or should I use the "No 1 Case 10W30"? I know the case brand has different API Service ratings on the 10W30 I put in my car, but does that make a difference since it's basically an oil bath for the chains? Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1wisoak2010-01-01 00:08

    Save the good API oil for the engine oil change and put the less expensive stuff in the chaincase.

  2. #2alrman2010-01-01 01:15

    I've never put 'new' oil in a chain case - ever. Only ever caught the oil drained from hydraulics on the skid steer & put that oil in the chain cases - I call it recycling........ The chain oil is only ever replaced at a 1000hr service - when hyd oil is due.

  3. #3Greg Ellis2010-01-05 09:44

    I have 90w gear oil in mine. Hope that is not a problem. I guess this is another reason I need a manual. I actually had to change the oil in mine last year due to water in the chain boxes. I was told it should be gear oil and that is what I put in it. Now I wish I could remember who told me this. Has not created a problem. And actually put 5 gallons in each side which brought it up to about the center of each axle. Please tell me if this should be changed or will create problems. I use this almost daily and don't want to have problems. I also replaced the gaskets on the 4 covers to prevent future water into the system.

  4. #4wisoak2010-01-05 10:22

    You have too much lube oil in the chaintank if it is almost to the center of the axle. The ops manual states to fill tanks up to the bottom of the drain plug hole located in the center of each tank. This amount is only a couple of inches deep and lubes the chain as it moves through the bottom of the tank.

  5. #5wisoak2010-01-05 12:29

    Whoops, Sorry...the 1845C does not have the level check plug in the side. A couple inches of oil added thru the top access cover is the norm.

  6. #6mkoepf2010-01-12 20:19

    5 quarts is what goes in the chain case. might not look like enough but thats spec.

  7. #7Hardline2010-01-13 13:58

    Yup my local dealer told me 6 but I dumped in an even two gallons to be safe. JJ