I have a 14 H.P. Magnun KOHLER petrol motor that i need to change the oil on, would 15W 40 oil do the trick ? ointhead
Yair . . . I reckon it would Garrie. I have a couple of them (16HP single?) at the golf club up here at Miriam Vale and they don't seem too fussy. I put them onto Shell Rimula way back and one of them has well over seven thousand hours. Some of the manufacturers specify straight (not multigrade) for aircooled engines but I dunno, all my stuff runs on diesel oil and (touch wood) I have never had any problems. Cheers.
Thanks for the reply, the motor is on a trencher made in the U.S, of A. Garrie
API CJ4 (15W-40 diesel oil) wouldn't be my first choice for small air cooled engine. I would prefer API SF/SG/SJ 20W-50 oil, standard dino or synthetic is your choice, because the additives and viscosity range in this API spec are more suitable for the high temps and pressure of small air cooled engine.
Kohler recommends SAE 30 ,you can download a manual at www.kohlerengines.com
I with Scrub Puller on this one. Use Shell Rotella in everything from diesels to motorcycles and in 20 years I have yet to have a problem.
Delo 400 15/40 all the way......