Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

tyre problem

lostinfrance ยท 2007-07-18 16:34

the 1845c that i have, has what looks like some sort of filled tyres. Ive decided that they probably need changing because grip is almost none existant. I think i have read that you can get the tyres off without having to get new rims? if that is correct what is the best way hack them off with a grinder? then some new tyres,normally 12x16.5? I have looked at the rims and they are stamped9.00x15.3 are these the standard rims or have they been changed at some time in there life? The current tyres say11.5/80 15.3. looking forward to some feed back thankyou ointhead

Replies10
  1. #1MKTEF2007-07-18 17:18

    Well i am not sure of the type of filling u got. We had some tires filled years ago, and a lot of trouble getting them off the rims.(tubeless trailer tyres, 225/65-17,5) We ended up with laying the tires on the ground, attacking them with the excavator and a ripper tooth!(210 exc) Then the tire ripped to pices and the filling came out. Then we could take off the remains of rubber. We filled some heavy equipment wheels too. Same procedure as described above. The filling was a sort of rubber that was pumped inside, hardened after a while. Years later the pressure inside was lost and it started turning on the rims. And the tire machine hadn't enough power to press em off.

  2. #2smalltime2007-07-18 17:51

    Without a picture, it is hard to tell if your rims are the originals or have been changed to fit the specific tire. A friend of mine has a Bobcat & he bought a specific rim for the solid tires he wanted. He kept the original rims with the regular tires for jobs he did not need the solid tires. His tires were not filled tires, they were solid. If you can take a picture, we can probably tell if they are filled or solid.

  3. #3DigDug2007-07-18 18:15

    Take a chainsaw and cut some tread into them.

  4. #4surfer-joe2007-07-18 18:46

    You are probably better off, by the time all is said and done, to just go ahead and purchase new rims and tires. If you are working in material, or with materials, that cause you a lot of flats, go with the solid steel rims and bolt-on tread rubber. It will save you a lot of headaches. I tried the foam filled tires in skid-steers and backhoes a long time ago. Gave it up on the skids. But it was a worthwhile endeavor on backhoe front tires. Came out a long way ahead with them on less downtime and less cost overall.

  5. #5Squizzy246B2007-07-18 21:01

    Lostinfrance. The 18XX Cases here are fitted with 12 x 16.5's rim/tyre combinations. I think Joe is on the right track. Rims are generally inexpensive. Rubber can cost more but your case dealer may have some standard lug tyres from buyers who have changed to other types.

  6. #6digger242j2007-07-18 21:33

    Have you checked into getting them re-capped, while still on the rims? I've been told by a tire guy that it can be done.

  7. #7will_gurt2007-07-19 19:28

    When my former employer was looking into capping these tires, They were told that there is a unsucessful capping rate of around 25%. In other words if you took four tires in to be capped there was a good chance that one cap wouldn't take properly. Plus around here, Pittsburgh, The tread pattern is like a snow tire pattern.

  8. #8TALLRICK2007-07-20 23:21

    I have dealt with foam filled tires, it took injections of lacquer thinner to dissolve it. Some compositions cannot be chemically weakened and you have to get out the sawzall. I ended up with a set of worn out foam filled tires and rims as the new owner of the machine decided to get wider rims and higher flotation tires. The worn out tires are the best for lawn use, less damage.

  9. #9Leo2008-05-07 09:40

    Please, 'cause I'm new to the forum I can not start my own thread yet.....could anyone tell me the approx. weight of a 10" steel rim for forklift, and 15" steel rim, and 10" and 15" forklift tire wewight (pneumatic ones). So, I'm in need of a 4 weight numbers ....thank you

  10. #10Serv2008-05-12 14:08

    I realize this is an old post but I thought I'd offer a pic of how I think they get these things off the wheel. I see many of these per year that are cut exactly like this so they must be cutting around the circumference of the tire on one sidewall then one cut across. good luck