Learn me on best tyre rotation practices gents. Truck is boggie (tandem) drive with block pattern drive tyres and regular pattern steer tyres. They are Michelin's all around and can provide specifics when I get near the truck if it makes any difference. Truck and tyres are nearly 12 months old and have only done 15000km which is about what I average a year. Smaller single drive truck, I never rotated the drives just the steers and drives are pretty much buggered at 110000km. Our dirt roads chip them out pretty good. I assume that with the boggie drive they will be skidding more during turns therefore rotation will help? I just had another all axle wheel alignment done, will be getting one a year for a bit, toe was out, again guessing that rough dirt roads don't help. Thanks
Run em til they slick up. No need on heavier equipment unless steers wear to outer or inner edge due to excess Camber (+ or -) on axles in which case swapping them L-R and maintaining Direction of rotation is optimum. Chat roads are tough on any tire, no rotations will really compensate for that.
I haul logs in the pnw, approx 20% gravel , usually rotate drives at about 40% wear - rotate in to out and front to back.
When I was holding a steering wheel, I just made sure they rotated and never hung up. I guess that really dates me.
The steers on my f600 are wearing in the middle but they look low all the time. They are not bad yet but i am going to dismount them and turn them on the rims and switch side to side.
Sometimes tires worn more in the middle than on the edges(if they are at the correct inflation pressure) can be caused by having a wider tire on a narrow rim. Just thought I would throw that out there. I’ve seen that on some old trucks years ago
The rims are the right for the tires but i run the presser lower than what the tire says to run. The out side rib is like new but the inside is about down to the wear bars.
Too far negative Camber, only way to correct is a axle bend capable shop, for the tires, swap them L to R but in SAME Rotation direction, put Inner Sidewalls to Outside just opposite side and will wear that outer edge down as becomes the inner.
I was thinking of the camber but I am interpreting the wear to be similar to an overinflated condition where the centre wears more than the edges. We have not been told whether the tires are bias or radial and what brand the casings are
I didnt get that right it is wearing the middle and the inside and out side are good like they are overinflated . i dont run as much air as it says on the tires and they look low. The center is wearing more than the outsides but the center closes to the inside is worn a little more than the center outside clear as mud. I have a 1967 3/4 ton GMC 2 WD . I replaced the front end from a 1/2 to 3/4 replaced tie rods ball joints several times. It never saw a alignment other than a tape measure . It never wore tires funny.
Tires too wide for wheels will do that.
I need to look at the one owners manual but i think that every thing is right.
In the old days trucks that came with 8.25-20 rubber quite often got changed to 9.00 or 10.00-20’s and encountered that issue. The tire shop guys always say ‘oh ya, they’ll work-no problem’ . I’ve seen that also on ag and grader tires
I always figured tire rotation is a lot of work, and we always needed worn spare tires in case one got popped, to match the others, so we ran them until some were slick, and if any others out of that set still had reasonable tread, saved them as spares.
On my particular trucks, the rear drives always wore faster than the front drives so I would rotate them front to back on the drive axles so they would mile out at about the same time and then be replaced all at the same time.
I am about sure mine came with 8.25s and thats what it has now. I know were there are some 9.00s on rims i thought about getting to have just in case i need them some day. My f 600 is very handy before i got it i was building a pickup with a dump bed but now i know it would be to small for the stuff i am doing i dont haul much weight but need the cubic feet of room. I thought about the pickup or one ton because at the time 16s were easy to get but now there getting as hard to get as 8.25s.