Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

UH171 Bypass Filter

ceptwrench ยท 2025-07-18 19:28

Struggling to find answers online with anything regarding this machine but this is a more general question that could be related to most older excavators. I haven't been able to find reasonable bypass filters. Either it's $200usd and a drive to the states as the eBay stores won't ship to Canada, or $550+ shipped from Japan. Doing this every time I need filters seems silly. Can I replace this with a newer spin on style mount and filter? There's a large stauff mount and spin on locally with larger inlet and outlet then what I have so physically it will work but wondering if I am missing something. Also if anyone has the operators manual for the excavator that would be great.

Replies11
  1. #1Vetech632025-07-19 11:02

    As long as you are filtering with the same micron specs, the machine doesn't know the difference. If you can adapt it, then do it.

  2. #2Welder Dave2025-07-20 01:49

    Contact the E-bay sellers. They may be able to ship to Canada, just don't do it often. Have you looked at filter manufacturers catalogue for crosses to the filters? If it is a N. American spec. machine shouldn't be hard to get filters. Hitachi dealer is no help?

  3. #3HarleyHappy2025-07-20 08:44

    A lot of times, I will go to a JD filter housing, if I can get it to fit up. Especially if the OEM filter like Cat is 80 bucks, when I can go anywhere and get a JD filter for 20 bucks.

  4. #4Welder Dave2025-07-20 15:23

    I don't think JD filters are that much less than Cat filters. Their other parts aren't. I think Hitachi filters shouldn't be too hard to find. They are popular excavators.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2025-07-21 06:45

    I can go to Tractor Supply and buy a JD filter or substitute for 12 or 15 bucks, 7 days a week.

  6. #6ceptwrench2025-07-21 16:38

    They cannot be found. Only one store in Canada can find them in Japan. It's an old excavator. If you can find em for cheap I'll buy them but I cannot.

  7. #7Welder Dave2025-07-21 17:09

    Have you looked in Baldwin and other filter brands catalogues? I know Baldwin has filters for some pretty rare and oddball machines. Most dealers can't be bothered to look up stuff that doesn't show up on their monitors. Looking up in a paper catalogue... forget it! The customer can do that themselves.

  8. #8ceptwrench2025-07-25 13:17

    I looked them all up and gave lordco and other places multiple part numbers. Wajax also have me the most recent numbers but they are from the 90s still.

  9. #9ceptwrench2025-07-25 13:20

    I bought a new bypass filter mount and filter today. Has a 10 micron rating. Haven't been able to find the rating for the old filter so hopefully this is enough. It's old so I expect so.

  10. #10Welder Dave2025-07-25 17:21

    Lordco??? It's not a common vehicle.

  11. #11ceptwrench2025-07-25 18:30

    Lordco sells Baldwin and hydraulic parts and fittings. I've tried finning Brandt wajax lordco and napa any online source I could find and not much luck. Either $500+ or ship to USA only which means crossing the border and it's just not worth the time or hassle these days.