Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

UK magazine article about Dick Hampton Earthmoving

wolfism ยท 2024-09-11 07:08

I thought that forum members in the UK might be interested in an article about Dick Hampton Earthmoving, in the new issue of Archive magazine (posted here with the author's permission). There are lots of historic shots of motorway construction during the 1960's featuring CAT D8 bulldozers, Traxcavators and shovels, AEC and Euclid dump trucks, Ruston-Bucyrus draglines - plus a detailed history of the firm from the 1940's to the '80's. Some of the CAT's came from Caterpillar's HQ at Peoria in Illinois, many were built at CAT's factory at Uddingston outside Glasgow in Scotland.

Replies2
  1. #1DDoug2024-09-11 08:24

    Up till a few years ago....the Tractor Supply Stores here sold a UK magazine Called "Plant & Machinery" or something. I purchased several copies over the years, and would continue doing so if available. Looked similar to your linked.

  2. #2wolfism2024-09-11 11:08

    Hi Doug, I think I know the magazine you mean, it was called "Classic Plant & Machinery". It ran some pretty interesting features, but they stopped publishing it a year or two back, during Covid as I recall. Subscribe to Classic Plant & Machinery | Kelsey Media shop.kelsey.co.uk