Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D2 followed me home

spitzair · 2024-09-07 20:41

Hello everyone, Had a little D2 follow me home about a week or so ago. My 8 year old son was over the moon when he saw me show up with it! 4U1707 joined my collection of things after searching for one for a few years. Story goes it farmed in Saskatchewan or Manitoba for a number of years then the owner passed away and it hasn’t run since. His kids sold it to the gentleman I bought it from… It’s really nice and straight, hardly a dent on it anywhere, and it’s 100% complete from what I can tell. Both engines are stuck from sitting so I’ll have my work cut out for me to get it going again but my plan is to go through the whole thing front to back and make it good as new. I had initially planned on doing a full restoration and paint job to it but most everyone I’ve talked to says to leave it the way it is and not paint it. I’m thinking that is the way I’m going to go for now, I can always paint it later… what are y’all’s thoughts on that? I’m sure I’ll be back here with many more questions as I get into the old girl… Anyway, enough of my rambling, here’s some photos and a link to a youtube video I made of it…

Replies12
  1. #1Truck Shop2024-09-07 21:01

    That will be a fun piece to work on.

  2. #2Vetech632024-09-07 21:03

    There must be something in the air

  3. #3Truck Shop2024-09-07 21:04

    2 ton not to far from me. *

  4. #4Truck Shop2024-09-07 21:09

    Isn't this a little low down the list--you don't normally go past the Roller thread, a little far from home.

  5. #5Vetech632024-09-07 21:11

    Wife told me to get out more lol

  6. #6Dom2024-09-08 06:56

    Very cool. To paint or not to paint is entirely up to you. Your tractor, you decide. If you are planning on reselling it, painting will bring in more revenue,but pending on your time value may not bring in more profits.

  7. #756wrench2024-09-08 09:35

    Squatch 253 has a very good 5J series complete rebuild on youtube that is well worth watching for anyone repairing/restoring an old D2. He covers everything and i mean EVERYTHING

  8. #8spitzair2024-09-10 00:42

    Thanks guys! I’ll keep y’all posted as I dig into this thing. That’s a nice looking 2 ton there Truck Shop!

  9. #9Coaldust2024-09-10 02:12

    That is a very nice patina. I wouldn’t do paint unless you find some spots with excessive corrosion and then just fix the bad spots. Looking forward to following your progress.

  10. #10Tones2024-09-10 03:44

    If you're gona make it new on the inside then the outside is worthy of the same attention. My 2 cents.

  11. #11spitzair2024-09-14 12:10

    Got the machine into my little shop. Haven’t done much to it yet other than drain all the water compartments… man was it full of water! Luckily most everything had some real heavy thick oil film on it and the water hasn’t done too much damage from what I’ve seen so far. Next step is to build a gantey crane so I can start taking the big pieces off. I didn’t take any pictures but did make another video…

  12. #12spitzair2024-09-29 10:59

    Haven’t made all that much progress on the D2 yet, but I did manage to build myself a gantry crane so I can tear into it now and lift all the heavy pieces off. Hopefully I’ll have some D2 progress to report soon. In the mean time here’s a photo or 2 and a link to a video I put together of building the crane…