Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

un-bending a slightly bent steel track segment?

Pants ยท 2017-04-22 16:45

This isn't really the highest priority for me, but I'm wondering if there's a specific technique for correcting the bend that somehow occurred in one steel track segment on my quirky not-for-import gray-market CAT 307SSR. I did try the cave-man-sledgehammer-technique for a few blows, but (a) it had little noticeable effect, and (b) I seriously began to wonder whether it might break something else, per the Law of Unintended Consequences [sledgehammer clause.] Two pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99860246@N03/shares/1Fn606 Is it better to heat it? Take that link off and press it back? Leave it alone?

Replies11
  1. #1Welder Dave2017-04-22 20:00

    I'd say take it off and try to press it straight. Worst case it breaks and you buy 1 new track pad. Heating it would probably work too but take it off so you don't bugger the track chains or seals. Concentrate the heat more on the flat side (bottom) of the pad and it will contract on cooling which is better than stretching the top material down.

  2. #2Pants2017-04-23 05:03

    Thanks Dave.

  3. #3CatToy2017-04-23 06:32

    I straightened a pad off my Cat 933 loader which was 16" on my 20 ton press but tt was a tough battle. So, I removed one off my LB330 which are 31" pads and took it to a machine shop with a very large press, $160 dollars later, it looked good. They said they did not use heat as that would weaken it.

  4. #4Scrub Puller2017-04-23 06:42

    Yair . . . I'd probably run a couple of cuts through the grousers with a 1mm wheel down to the plate, biff it or lever it a tad beyond straight, weld up the cuts and dress of the welds off with the grinder. Bloody hell Cat Toy how much costing a new plate? Cheers.

  5. #5DMiller2017-04-23 08:27

    Problem with straightening steel cold or hot is the structure is weakened both from initial bend and re-straightening. Would need a re-temper to take the stresses out. I prefer to heat then straighten then reheat and quench.

  6. #6menace2017-04-23 12:05

    I would buy a new or used pad. If you use it as is,and work off blacktop or concrete and spin that track it will gouge and damage what you're driving on!

  7. #7CatToy2017-04-23 13:08

    I think Link belt wanted about that much for new one. After market, about half that. When I dropped it off, all I asked is if they could straighten it, they said yes, I told them to do it. I think they charged me 1.5 hours shop time, I thought they should have done it in 1/2 hour but my bad for not asking up front.

  8. #8Scrub Puller2017-04-23 14:22

    Yair . . . Gotcha Cat Toy. I hear you, we all get bloody caught. Cheers.

  9. #9Welder Dave2017-04-23 14:44

    It's a small machine and grousers are welded on all the time so I don't think heating would cause too much of a problem. A new track pad might be the cheapest fix. Aftermarket could be under $15.

  10. #10Vetech632017-04-25 07:03

    Yeah, ide replace the pad. By the time you screw with it by heating and beating you have spent more than the pad costs.

  11. #11Delmer2017-04-25 11:14

    Shipping to Honolulu? Take it off. Bend it if you can. If you need to heat it, there's a technique to it that involves heating small spots and cooling them, shrinking the metal and causing the bend in the direction you want. The Lincoln arc welding manual has good directions and pictures, you can probably find something online too. Like this: http://www.linde-gas.com/internet.g...racticioner .indd_56786_1217_130446.pdf?v=2.0