Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Unable to rotate chute on Quick attach 2010x (cat 247b)

Larry Corman ยท 2019-12-14 16:38

I recently purchased a Cat 247b with a snow-away 2010x. My understanding is the 2 right most buttons on the left joy stick work the chute rotation. So far - no success. The upper left button for the horn and the lower left to engage the snow blower work. It worked last spring when we took the snowblower off - now it doesn't. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Replies6
  1. #1KSSS2019-12-15 11:23

    I have had that occur a couple times over the years. Sometimes the connection at the plug is bad, one time I had a bad spot on the control wire, that must have gotten pinched. Does the chute angle hyd. cylinder work?

  2. #2Larry Corman2019-12-15 21:59

    Thanks for your reply. The chute angle (deflector) works. I found out today that the rotation is controlled by the right thumbwheel + the upper/lower buttons on the right side of the left joy stick. Still no luck though, doing this sequence. Could this be a fuse issue?

  3. #3Steve Frazier2019-12-15 22:25

    You're going to have to start tracing the circuit. Could be a number of things. I'd start and see if you get power at the solenoid. If you have power there then either the solenoid is bad or stuck or the motor is stuck, or the chute could be froze to the framework. You could take the drive chain off the sprocket and see if the motor turns with no load and try to turn the chute manually, this should tell you where your problem is. If there's no power at the solenoid, go back to the plug on the machine and check there, if not then keep going backwards until you find power and then figure out why it was lost.

  4. #4Larry Corman2019-12-15 23:04

    Thank you, Steve, for your reply. I actually took the chain off the other day to rotate the chute to the right so that I could at least use it until I get this figured out. I'm not good at electronic troubleshooting - probably will need some help from friends on this one. Thanks again.

  5. #5Nige2019-12-16 08:17

    If I understand you correctly, the function DID work once since you've had the machine in your posession, but doesn't work now.? An Operator Manual might be a good start. It sounds as though you don't have one. At least that would give you info regarding what control is supposed to operate what. The electro-hydraulic system on these machines is quite complex and requires a basic understanding in order to be able to troubleshoot it. With a machine Serial Number I can probably come up with an Electrical Schematic that would assist whoever does the troubleshooting to follow the circuits. Looking at an example of the LH joystick wiring on a 247B (there are many so I picked one at random) it appears as though each push-button energizes a relay to control the function. Bad relay, corroded contacts, burnt/damaged wire..? Only some on-site diagnosis will throw up the answer.

  6. #6Steve Frazier2019-12-16 20:25

    I've got a Quick Attach blower for my 248, although I don't know the model number of the blower I think it's going to be similar. The chute rotation and elevation are controlled through a manifold with solenoids that scavenges oil pressure from the auger and blower motors while they are running to make the adjustments. The rotation has a hydraulic motor and bicycle style chain that goes around the chute to rotate it. The elevation has a small hydraulic cylinder that changes the angle of a hinged portion to the tip of the chute for deflection. My bet is an electrical problem of some sort, dirty contacts, broken wire or bad solenoid. A simple test light should help you trace back to where the problem is, you may need a helper to activate the switches while you use the test light. You said you've removed the chain for the chute, with the machine OFF try to rotate the motor manually. If it's free you've eliminated that as the problem.