Hi guys, I’m in the market for a mini excavator which is small enough to enter most gated backyards. I have a deal in place to purchase a used 2014 kubota kx018-4 with 110 hours for $18k. My other option was to purchase a new Deere 17g with two buckets and hydraulic thumb for ~$29k after taxes. Any one on the board have any of these machines and could input on them. I have a Deere 320e skid which is a beast and am leaning towards the Deere. But the kubota is priced real good, however I need to add the thumb, plus if wouldn’t have a warranty remaining on the machine. Also as a side note based off my research seems like the deere is made by hitachi. Not sure of their quality. If anyone could input on this decision or a recommendation between the two. Thanks in advance.
Hi aimbriano, What are you going to do with the thumb?
Use it for small boulders, we occasional build boulder walls. And also could use it for small stump and shrubs removal. I’ve been so mixed on which machine to buy.
Your post would have been better in the compact excavator posts. You are not really comparing the same machines there as the 018 has counter balance and would be noticeably better for lifting things compared to 17g. Which can also be a problem working in close as worrying about the tail is a pain. The Kubota has no hours so huge saving. I personally like the U17-3 in the kubota and also like the cylinder arrangement on the boom. I have small machine and all heavy implements reduce there performance so i opted for a four way bucket to clear bush and lift rocks so i did not have the thumb sitting there being useless all the time.
Thank 007 , stupid me i didnt even see the compact section. Not sure if a mod can move this thread there or if i could post it up again. I tried searching this forum along with google for other owners of either machine and really can find much. Just trying to see real world usage and comments on them. Kubota is a great deal. But would need to travel 2.5 hours to pick it up.
2.5 hrs is nothing really if that machine suits your needs better. It can be agonizing choosing the right machine to buy. Here in Au Kubota has much better market share than deer and Hitachi in the small machines so its a no brainer. I almost bought a U17-3 Kubota but in the end bought the U25-3. I lost some compactness of going through gates but gained more power, stability on hills and is still reasonably easy to tow with big car. As no machine is perfect for all jobs you have to weigh up what you will do most of the time with the machine.
Her in Uk the kubota is the go to machine for utility companies etc who need a bomb proof machine, but in my opinion a zero tail in tight situations wins every time. You can just get on with the work without worrying. Just depends how the money stacks up. You can sort most potential problems on the Kubota with the difference in price, but a warranty brings piece of mind. If the Deere can lift what you need and you can afford it I would go with that. Every time you can’t slew because of the tail weight you will curse not buying a zero tail. Graham
I agree zero tail swing is the go on mini ex. The very nature of these little machines has you up close and personal to things and i don't know how many times the zero tail swing has saved me from bashing into things. I noticed a machine with over hang will usually get a little longer reach stick and boom which is good for some people. For a time i was annoyed with mine because it was not well balanced when you reached out with heavy bucket. To the point that i collected a heap of lead and was going to make hook on counter weight. But i had a change of mind because i figured I liked the side affect of under weight better. I think i liked the machine keeping a bit of pressure downwards on the bucket gave me better control and nicer finish. And I suppose i gained a little more down pressure on the bucket when digging so just left it as it was. Im sure every one will have there own likes and dislikes on the subject.