Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

under carriage

Reuben ยท 2008-12-26 23:00

Well it looks like we are going to keep the ol' 550H long enough to replace the under carriage. How should we go about getting all the hardware we need to replace everything,after market,oem,etc.? I want to put top of the line parts back on it, SALT tracks also. I was just planning on calling the deere dealership and getting everything I need. We will put it on ourselves of course. Also how much $$$ should we figure on cuttin a check for.

Replies17
  1. #1AtlasRob2008-12-27 10:58

    There are more on here with far more experience than me when it comes to undercarriage replacement but I would say that with the market the way it is. Make sure you shop around for prices. I dont suggest a dutch auction but now is the time to get yourself a VERY good deal IMHO

  2. #2Greg2008-12-27 15:11

    If you go to the deere man you will pay dearly for the DEERE name. I understand that Berco make the Deere OEM undercarriage.

  3. #3td15c2008-12-27 16:53

    I usually run berco or itm undercarriage. last winter I made the mistake of buying so called cheap bottom rollers made in china .5 out of the 12 have already lost there seals and wont hold oil. I hate it when cheap costs twice as much.:Banghead

  4. #4Woodstock2008-12-27 23:02

    I put V-Trak on my 650H. with SALT, I put new every thing, even bolts and 20" pads. I have 1,000 hours on them know. Every thing still in great shape looks like new still. It cost me $7,200. They have 3yr 4,600 hr warranty on them to. I got them from nortrax out of Tennessee and I'm in Texas. They delivered for that price. Me and one other guy put every thing on in less than eight hours. JD wanted $14,000 for parts and labor. I have the guys name and # if you need it. Good luck.

  5. #5Reuben2008-12-28 01:53

    I have heard of berco. Do I just call their branch that is closest to me and tell them I need 100% new under carriage...I would probably send someone to go pick it up.

  6. #6Greg2008-12-28 12:19

    A lot of undercarriage shops other that the OEM's like Cat, Deere, Dresser, Komatsu handle a wide variety of different brands. Try somebody close to you who will be a dealer. TD 15C, just another tribute as to how everything is that comes from china.

  7. #7roddyo2008-12-28 19:35

    Berco Undercarriage I don't know anything about a Berco Undercarriage :beatsme BUT I just passed on a late model JCB Excavator because the tracks were froze up pretty bad in a couple of places. By the way it had a Berco Undercarriage. They may be the best thing since sliced bread but I wouldn't buy one unless I talked to someone that had some hours on one.

  8. #8darinray2008-12-29 12:17

    Well honestly what track (dry) won't freeze up if not used? Reuben I have a quote for you and please ANYONE feel free to critique the offer. Berco Lubed track group with 40 link and 16" singles $5580 delivered. Darin

  9. #9EZ TRBO2008-12-29 12:20

    For the longest time I belive that Berco was one of the few manufactors of undercarraige components(older crew step in). We have shoped around from different dealers in the Parts Connection book to our dresser dealer and even Industrial Tractor parts I belive. Priced out a TON of different combos and have usually found our dealer to be the cheapest on the stuff we wanted(total package). Have used mostly all berco throughout the years but have found some OEM that was even cheaper somtimes. I have all the quotes we have goten from the past 15 years or so and whom was what, etc. I'll look up the exact time for the few places we have called for. Trbo

  10. #10Allen662008-12-29 22:46

    darinray, could you provide a ballpark figure for a package deal on chains, grousers, sprockets & rollers for a dresser td20. thanks

  11. #11darinray2008-12-30 09:22

    Hello Allen66, I sure can quote you on parts you need but need more info. What model machine do you have. TD20?what letter Darin

  12. #12Allen662008-12-30 10:25

    Sent pm

  13. #13Greg2008-12-30 11:48

    You have to be careful because there is Korean, Taiwan, even Russian undercarriage showing up here now. Have not heard of any chinese yet, but it will only be a matter of time.

  14. #14roddyo2008-12-30 22:47

    Berco Undercarriage Pushcat don't seem to think much of the Berco.

  15. #15darinray2008-12-30 23:01

    So roddyo you like your tracks on your D4H?? For the record I'm NOT a Berco salesman (not that it's a bad thing) I'll supply you with ANY brand you want. So who made your track group???? As you know if some people had bad experiences with something it has to be garbage right? NOT! Darin

  16. #16roddyo2008-12-31 01:22

    I Love My Undercarriage. I'm tickled Pink with my Undercarriage. It's a Genuwine CattlePuller. Because Down here in Arkansas that's what we Hi-Rollers Run. As far as the Berco UC goes 1) I said I didn't know anything about them 2) I showed a picture of a Berco UC that was as froze up as anything I have seen this year "On a 2005 JCB with 2600 Hours" and said before I bought a Berco UC I would talk to someone that had some experiance running one. The main reason I didn't buy the 2005 JCB was the condition of the UC. Since I bought 1) 2004 & 2) 2005 model Excavators in 2008 with between 175 and 5000 hours on them and looked at between 2 and 3 hundred other excavators this year I think I'm a pretty good judge of what an undercariage should look like. 3)On a different thread some people were HAPPY with there Berco UC and I left them a link to this thread and told them people would be happy with their input. A person running a machine 500 hours a year has different needs from someone running one 2500 hours a year. That's the good thing about HEF, people can ask questions and talk about what works for them and explain why. I always thought people should get both sides of an issue and make up there own minds. But I'm also not on here trying to sell something either. The funny thing about having an "Almost" Photographic Memory is you never know when it will come in handy. Here is some of your advice from a while back. When I get dozers or excavators in and they have links that are froze even when they do break free and look like they are flat as soon as you make a pass around the sprocket and idler they are kinked again. Only method I found is knock the pin out and clean adn replace. I have a portable track press that is rated for 50 tons and without heat and this press they are too much work to press out. Normally I give up even with this high dollar press and send them to u/c shop for a turn. Better than beating myself up with out the proper tools. Keep us posted on yoru luck though. Darin As per your advice I passed on the JCB with the Froze up Berco Undercarriage pictured above because I didn't want to buy a 2600 hour excavator that was 3 Years old and have to send it "To the u/c shop for a turn". Because down here in Arkansas "I got enough problems without Paying For One".:cool2 Just my 2 Cents, Roddyo

  17. #17darinray2008-12-31 08:31

    Take care!