Good morning, I was hoping one of you sage fellows can answer an undercarriage question. The 977L that I currently own is in desperate need of undercarriage and I am actively looking for some used rails at the very least. I had a gentleman call me this morning who has in his possession a used set of rails in 90% condition, however this set is from a D7E. Now I have been told that the rails from a D7G will definitely work, now i'm wondering if the D7E rails will work also. Any and all comments are appreciated, thanks in advance!!
I am not sure, but I did find these at Roger Beck, Beck Equipment in NY. They are a straight up no BS outfit. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...x?OHID=151529&ftcatid=1024&ftmanu=CATERPILLAR
D7E should be the same as 977, 8.5" pitch links, but just because he says they are D7E doesn't necessarily make them so. A couple of things to check: - 1. Have the seller measure the distance between pin centres in the links and give you the measurement, then measure yours the same way. At the very least the measurements should both be the same 8.5" or thereabouts. 2. Clean the paint/dirt from the side of a few links on your machine in the area in between the two bolt holes for the shoe. In that area you ought to find a number cast into the links, in fact in your photos in post #89 on page 6 of the other thread I can see some numbers - I just can't read them. This is the link Part Number. Have the seller tell you what his part number is also. The options are 7T-4657/7T-4658 or 8S-2589/8S-2590. This will only be the case if the links are Cat ones, aftermarket will be a supplier number depending on what brand they are. If the link Part Numbers are the same then the link groups will definitely fit your 977.
I appreciate all the info, I'll let you guys know how I make out Thanks
Okay so the seller has confirmed that it is CAT Undercarriage Part #8S-2589, however my machine requires 39 Links and this set has 38, is it possible to throw another link in? How much of a pain would it be? His asking price is 7500 Cad and that includes the pads. See pics below, claims 90% Thoughts?
To install an extra link really requires the services of a hydraulic press. It can be done without but it's a pain. Does the D7E run 38 or 39 links in the track group..? Maybe someone can confirm which. It seems strange to me how a 977 would have longer track frames on it than a dozer to require an extra link in the track assembly. Usually a loader would have shorter track frames and therefore require less links in the track group. Has a link been removed from those D7E tracks at some time I wonder..? Just out of interest have you tried pricing a new set of Cat General Duty link groups (that would be tracks minus shoes) from your local Cat dealer..?
Nige, I found this info on another thread on the forum. I have priced out just the rails and so far the cheapest I can find is a set for 7000.00 CAD, at this point i'm definitely leaning towards this option as going with the used set would involve quite a bit more labour and F@#$@% about. I was hoping the seller would drop his price to around 3000 CAD but it's not looking promising.
Nige, The attached link is a new after market set of chains for a 977L for $4,000. for the pair. Before negotiations... http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...x?OHID=151529&ftcatid=1024&ftmanu=CATERPILLAR
New rails even under old shoes/pads with weld on grousers would be a better choice IMHO. To buy a somewhat worn set of SALT rails not knowing if they may be at end of seal life or already have pin/bushing wear beyond a reasonable tolerance could end up just money spent for a short time of relief plus having to add a segment with labor and costs involved. If I could I would pick up a set of new rails and shoe bolts for my old machine but they do not exist. Cheaper and more durable as to duration of time in the seat not in shop.