Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Uneven Cutting Edge on Loader

Wyo99 · 2020-09-15 19:57

Hey all quick question, I’m looking into getting a new backhoe and while corresponding with the seller they have sent me a few pictures, one thing stands out that worries me, the cutting edge on the loader doesn’t appear to be wearing evenly. The left side is worn more than the right. Is that just a product of pushing snow and the crown of the road/street wore that side more, or is it something more serious? If it is more serious what should I be looking for when I inspect the machine?

Replies11
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-09-15 20:59

    The loader frame could be sprung or bent.

  2. #2Delmer2020-09-15 21:46

    Some people favor one side for loading the corner of the bucket and wear that more.

  3. #3InsleyGuy2020-09-15 21:53

    Could be different size rear tires

  4. #4Welder Dave2020-09-15 22:33

    Can you post some pics.?

  5. #5Wyo992020-09-15 22:48

    These are the best I have, thanks for the input!

  6. #6Welder Dave2020-09-16 02:07

    Ok, that's not too bad. I think some of us were worried the bucket was twisted but it's a bolt on edge and looks like it could be turned around so you'd have a new edge to work with. The welded bucket edge is fine. Not a bad looking machine.

  7. #7Tinkerer2020-09-16 09:49

    This is why photos are necessary. I had a mental vision of a much worse condition. Are all of the bucket bushings nice and tight ?

  8. #8kshansen2020-09-16 12:58

    Yes not bad to me. A few years back at the quarry we had an outside contractor rebuilt a 966D bucket. We always had had company welders to that kind of wok but you know how it goes with upper management thinking(I use that word loosely) they think hiring work out is better than letting the guys who have done it for decades is the best option. Well when we reinstalled the bucket one front corner was about 2 inches off the floor when other side was touching. This was on a nice flat shop floor! Also had a noticeable bow in the center. They did come out and do some work on it but never got it to be perfect.

  9. #9Tones2020-09-16 17:26

    Different tyre pressures can be the cause of this. It can also be the fix

  10. #10Wyo992020-09-16 19:59

    I haven’t seen the machine yet, so I couldn’t tell you if the bucket bushings are tight or not, sounds like the uneven edge is a minor problem, especially if the other side hasn’t been used yet. Thanks!

  11. #11John C.2020-09-19 10:35

    Probably just an operator who likes to look over one side of the machine when using the loader. Maybe it was being used to clean the left side of a passage like in a dairy cow barn. The more important part of the bucket to look at is the very back under where the boom connects. Plenty of people use the back of the bucket to smooth the dirt.