once again i hate to see this........ link
Yet again, very sad to see. I have been involved in installing security systems on large pieces of heavy equipment, but the fact still remains: if someone REALLY wants to get into that ONE piece of equipment, they will. Any more publically-postable info on this incident, Pullpan? I am not a member of the linked site. With those houses in the background I am hoping somebody heard/saw *something*... a 40+ ton machine makes a lot of noise when it's being destroyed... :crying
Where did you find theses pictures. that SG decal on the hoe is for a company called Standard General. they are a local company here in Alberta (offices in Calgary and Edmonton) I have quite a few friends working there and none of them mentioned anything like this happining.
well they just posted on the news of how someone in florida used a loader to take those drive up atm's. then when interviewing some guy where they took the machine says on national tv that all the machines are more or less keyed alike. now talk about saying hit me with big red letters. I'm sure it will lead to more stuff stolen or smashed knowing you can just pay a few dollers for a key to what machine you want .
I recall a number of years ago in our neighborhood that someone started up a D6D on a local coal site, opened the throttle, aimed it towards town, put it in first and jumped out. The machine ended up stuck against a berm with the tracks spinning until it ran out of fuel. At that time everyone was incredulous that such a machine could be started with a bent nail... now you don't need to bend a nail you can go on ebay. I know for the last 5 or 6 years on Komatsu excavators (and others I expect) you can select a pin # so that the machine won't start until the pin # is entered. Not sure how many use it though because folks are scared of losing the pin, guys quitting and changing the pin # etc.
I remember waaay back in about 1980, "60 Minutes" did a segment on theft of construction equipment. I sure appreciated Mike Wallace showing every potential theif and vandal that my Case 580 could be started with any similar key, or a screwdriver used to turn the key switch, or a screwdriver used to jump across the starter terminals...
That Case key is pretty handy on some other brands too )Ron G
That's why I make my own kill switches for all my equipment. It is really easy to do with most diesel engines. I have a system in my truck where I have had guys sit in the passenger seat and watch me start it and then I give them the keys and they can't start it. One guy tried 4 different times and couldn't do it. It doesn't keep some jerk from tagging it tho. I rarely leave my equipment anywhere unless I am sure it is safe.
Wow now THATS vandalism....That sux....I was expecting to see some broken windows....Not that
I actually heard about this at the wife's Christmas party ( she works for the local Cat dealer ) , and I'm dieing to know how you got a hold of these photos , 9420 ??? As mentioned above , it really is sad to see equipment abused like this . I'm really not surprised at this particular situation though , as this company has a long list of disgrunted employees . It could of also been just a group of local ' angry-at-the-world' kids . Either way , it's a shame the equipment took the punishment .
here is the link where i found them!! LINK