Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Union apprenticeship advice

jayk ยท 2019-04-07 16:05

In this current economy how hard would it be for someone like me who has 5 yrs of experience in mainly subdivision work to get into a union? I'm in Oregon so it would be 701 but I ask this question looking for overall general answers/ advice not specific to 701 just operators union in general. I'm primarily a grade checker, Most of it done with an eye level and engineers rule but I've also used GPS and laser levels. I can read and mark stakes, I can use plans to find contours, figure slopes, find lot elevations, road sections, Swales, ect. I understand cut and fill diagrams. I also have experience on all equipment except Graders. Mainly excavators, Compactors, Backhoes, and Dozers. I appreciate any advice. Sorry if I got carried away.

Replies2
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-04-07 18:24

    Even with all that experience you would still most likely be required to get in an apprenticeship program. Go to the the apprenticeship site and personally talk to the coordinator. Getting in anywhere will depend on how much work is in the area. Local 150 Chicago is expecting a shortage of 800 qualified operators to fill the seats this summer. Bear in mind 150 has jurisdiction all the way into Iowa. It has huge geographical area.

  2. #2DMiller2019-04-07 21:33

    Not having been Union is the downfall, have to start where everyone else does until you prove yourself to senior members. Just remember STOIC, MODEST and above all Do Not Get cocky with the guys as you know so much, just make small offerings as you go as gets more faster than pushing the rope uphill at a run.