Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

union operator ?

deerefan ยท 2011-06-22 21:08

Alright as some of you no Im only 19 and have only been operating for about a year full time, dozer and hoe mostly. My question is that im tryin to acquire a union op. Job, preferably ine hoe (most money), I haven't had any actuall class traing just on the job experience and the veterans helpin me out. Around here alotta guys are still laid off even now in the middle of summer, im just askin what u guys think I should do or what wwould help me stand out on my resume' in order to get hired in a slow economy. I grew up in a fab shop so I can weld and fab and all that good stuff, but im young and know I need to stand out more.. any help would be awesome thanks, alex

Replies8
  1. #1qball2011-06-22 23:10

    bud, good luck. i am an 18 yr operator, and i have been sitting 7 months.. i weld and wrench too

  2. #2Drc2011-06-22 23:53

    To stand out in underground utility site preparation work the guy that gets hired is the experienced pipelayer/operator/leadman who has experience of varying conditons, companies and types of equipment. The guy that really stands out is the guy who can operate several pieces of equipment but is willing to lay pipe, be a pipe crew foreman, be a foreman, operate equipment (better than most because he has the knowledge needed to understand the entire project and can "run hoe" big or small) has the knowledge to get production. Those guys are few and far between there are plenty of operators and wantabe operators, a dime a dozen right now in a slow economy. Start with a # 1 shovel, learn to use it well, move up to equipment, learn to run it well, learn the all aspects of the work, learn to run a job. If you don't care if you're running a No 1 shovel, a 60,000 lb excavator or the pipe crew or the job, chances are you'll find all of them pay the same, very well.

  3. #3580bruce2011-06-23 08:39

    Dont worry about union or non, just try to find a good job and work hard.Might even relocate were the work is.

  4. #4ddigger2011-06-23 14:59

    I aggree with 580bruce, that being said here in Nor Cal, with local 3, that I am a member of, you must have 10yrs in the union before you can hussle your own work, otherwise you must be dispacthed through the hall. There are many ways people get in the union here that I wont go into being as our states are so far apart. Best of luck to you.

  5. #5deerefan2011-06-23 22:11

    Honestly guys I don't care what kind of work im doin as long as its for a HE company were I at least have a chance, ill run a spade or a grease gun all day I could care less, but thanks for the help I appreciate it!

  6. #6brynbaily2011-06-23 23:14

    Most senior guys on a union site are in the hoes. Best bet if you get in is to do your best on everything they put you on and if they like your work in the machine they may make other arrangements.That's what sucks on a union site is seniority is everything most the time. You will run into several people who suck and you know you can operate better but they are the senior guy and they will get the pick.

  7. #7Drc2011-06-24 00:40

    I agree with my self and 580 Bruce and Ddigger, if you learn how to work you'll not go hungry. Willingness to work hard and make the effort to learn as many aspects relating to heavy equipment operation as possible will keep bread on the table.

  8. #8cutting edge2011-06-24 09:03

    I think we all see the underlying message here....