I have an old 580K (later model) with an issue that has been going on more or less since I purchased it 2 years ago. It’s not prevented me from operating – but would sure like to get fixed if anyone can figure out what may be wrong. Please bear with me while I explain. In order to get the Hoe to go into forward or reverse the first time I use it, after it has cooled off (overnight or 2+ hours w/out operation) I must first warm it up well, then I have to turn it off, and back on. It simply won’t go onto F/R without first being warmed, and I must turn it off then back on. I could warm it up for > ½ hour and unless I turn off/on it still won’t go into F/R. Once I get it going in F or R, 25% of the time it will slow to a halt after 50-100 ft, and I have to turn it off/on again. Once it’s going, no problem after that at all. I have no problem with the bucket or hoe hydraulics. I have drained the transaxle and cleaned the suction screen, made sure that the hoses on the suction pipe are clear and tight. No cracks in hose or pipe. There was some small garbage in the very bottom of the suction screen, but no change after cleaned. Changed the filter, and the oil looked in good shape. I have adjusted the shuttle linkage, and have no problems with the shuttle solenoid and button on the shift lever. Neither the oil pressure or temp sensors are hooked up. None of the gauges or lights worked when I bought it, and I’ve only gotten the bare minimum back online. I don’t have the pressure equipment to test the hydraulic pressures. To me, somehow, it seems that it’s got to be some kind of interlock with pressure or temperature, that gets reset when turned off/on, but I can’t find anything in any of the manuals or electrical circuits other than the start in neutral sensor on the shuttle. Which seems to be working accordingly, as it will not start unless in neutral. It also seems to me that it’s got to be related to the shuttle in some way since it doesn’t matter if I try F or R – it just doesn’t go either way. But I can’t for the life of me make any sense of why turning off/on would make any difference. Anything would be appreciated.
Most likely related to the neutralizer, that puts power to the solenoid on top of the transaxle, to declutch the drive when you press either the button on the loader control or on the shifter.
Mitch, thanks for the thought. However, the issue was the same before I replaced the solenoid - which wasn't working when I bought the hoe. The solenoid works as it should, but if I disconnect it electrically - the problem remains. Originally, I thought as you did that it related to the solenoid, which wasn't working, but once replaced it still has the same issue. I can disconnect the solenoid either by unplugging or removing the fuse, and no change.
Or Mitch, is the "neutralizer" that you are referring to inside of the shuttle?
No, This is a super K, or k phase 3, with the gear shift on the right fender? Not the K with gear shift in the floor?
Mitch, it is a K phase 2, not super K. What they call a 'later model'. The shifter is on the console to the right. I have looked at the electrical diagram extensively, looking for some kind of electrical interlock to the transaxle other than the solenoid or neutral start switch and there is none. There's not a 'neutralizer' in the diagram. The solenoid is a direct connection from the shifter switch. Anyhow, the issue remains, whether the the solenoid is attached or not. I have had to eliminate the solenoid itself as an issue. That does not mean however, that there's not some kind of problem inside of the shuttle that I can't understand.
My guess is that you have an issue either with the charge pump or the fwd / rev clutch packs. To confirm, it will need pressure & flow tests.. Sorry I can't be more positive but the problem is indeed a little "unique". Has the transmission control valve been removed & cleaned out ? - could be some trash in the modulator making it stick a little - you never know
Airman, thanks for the reply. By 'transmission control valve' I assume you mean the power shuttle valve assembly on top of the transaxle? If so, no, that's not been done. Looking at it in the parts and service manuals it looked like a fairly complex piece of equipment, and I was unsure if I could remove and do any cleaning out/disassembly without having all the various o-rings and seals that all the different internal valves require. I suppose that that is a logical next step - so should go ahead and order all the rings and have them available. Re: charge pump and F/R clutch packs - are you aware of any material that will help me understand how they work? I can read about in the service manual, but doesn't explain the bigger picture - what is the flow of hydraulics through the system, what does the charge pump et. al. do, how do the clutch packs work? And I assume that the pressure and flow tests require specialized equipment that only a dealer would have? Thanks for your help.
I have been doing some research and looking at the service manual. It appears to me that I can do the section "Servicing the Torque Converter Housing" - starting on page 6205-13 - without removing the housing from the converter. That way I could check to see if there are any issues with the flow valves without a major disassembly. Anyone know if this is possible? would I need to drain all of the hydraulic fluid? other than o-rings, any other parts I should plan on changing - so that I can order in advance? Thanks for any replies.