Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Unit Digging dogs.

Taylortractornu ยท 2011-07-05 20:17

I have a few questions for the older crane gents on here. Im working an a friends place and his dad has an old Unit dragline out there. I need to clean out a siilt pond with it. I cant figure out how to set the dogs on it not to drag it towardsthe pond. Its aggravating havint to sit cross tracked where im wanting to dig. Next week I need to dig a water diversion with it. Ive never run a dragline other than a clam. Its been about 10 years since I ran a friction crane other than setting a few things with a friends old rig. From memory the dogs let me sit over the sprockets and dig towards the rear. Ive gotten myself in the mess lol. Im gonna rough the diversion out with the dragline and then use an equally antique TD18 with a Bucyrus blade to rerough the diversion and then use a Fiat Allis grader to clean it up. This is a just a friend project always wanted to run a drag line.

Replies2
  1. #1ror76a2011-08-12 20:07

    the traction breaks on a Unit are automatic. They are baiscly large drum brakes that are spring loaded and come off when you engage travel. The linings could be worn out or something could be broken, you might have to crawl under it and take a look. Good luck.

  2. #2IronworkerFXR2013-04-08 23:21

    And when its time to replace the brake linings the whole drive assembly has to come out the bottom.