Hey does anyone know a source for hydraulic cylinders with no ends here in the US? A company called Flowfit has them over in the UK, but their specs are metric, and mine are imperial. Everywhere I'm looking here in the US has them with ends already on, and when I ask them for cylinders with no ends, I just get the telephone version of the "deer in the headlights" look.
Do you mean something with a flat base on one end, and the rod has nothing there either. Essentially a jack.
Single or double acting.? What exactly is it to be used for.? As RC says you effectively are looking for a jack cylinder.
Kinda splitting hairs here, but I wouldn't call it a jack. Double Acting Cylinder/Ram, No Ends 40Bore 25Rod 200Stroke 330Closed Hydraulic Double Acting Cylinder/Ram, No Ends 40Bore 25Rod 200Stroke 330Closed. Year-round competitive pricing with next-day delivery—only at Flowfit! www.flowfitonline.com This is just an example of what I'm looking for.
It's for a mudjack or slabjack. The company who built it went out of business. It has a 1"-14 coupling nut welded to the rod and a big ol' piece of box section welded to the base end. The ends I can do. It's just that cylinder that's proving to be a little elusive. I pinged a few manufacturers for a custom quote, but since I only want qty 1, I'm guessing my RFQs are going to get tossed.
I would, because that's exactly what it is doing. Even your "mudjack or slabjack" defines what it is. Single or double acting.? If single-acting how is it retracted.? Working pressure.? Barrel length.? Piston diameter.? Rod diameter.? Stroke.?
Double acting hydraulic cylinder. Not a jack. I don't have the specs on me at the moment, I can post them tomorrow.
Surpluscenter.com would be my first guess. Double Acting Hydraulic Cylinders | Hydraulic Cylinders | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com Double Acting Hydraulic Cylinders,Hydraulic Cylinders,Hydraulics, 4" x 8" x 2" DA HYD CYL Brand new, PRINCE. Double www.surpluscenter.com 1.25x5x0.625 Double Acting Hydraulic Cylinder Bailey 320-437 | Bailey | Brands | www.surpluscenter.com 1.25x5x0.625 Double Acting Hydraulic Cylinder Bailey 320-437, Bailey, 1.25 x 5.06 x 0.625 DOUBLE ACTING HYDRAULIC CYLINDER New, Bailey 320-437Bailey,320437, www.surpluscenter.com Joe H
Yep tried them. No bueno. Thanks!
What exactly do you need? Picture of existing and dimensions and you'll get an answer here. This place calls them "neutral ends" Double Acting Cylinder with Neutral Ends | Tusker Global — Hydraulic Cylinders Highest PSI duty rating in the line — built for demanding OEM applications. www.tuskerhydraulics.com Joe H
Post some photos of the installation as well. Let the dog see the rabbit......
That looks promising! I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks so much!
These are similar, however the dia. may be too small. Angle & Lift Cylinders for Meyer Snow Plows | Mill Supply, Inc. Get ready for the harsh winter weather with our high-quality snow plow parts, including cutting edges, hydraulic rams, valves, solenoids, lights, and more! www.millsupply.com
Depending on what your doing but the plain cylinder looks like it came out of a cheap Porta Power pack.
Must be he's building some sort of top secret, experimental, patent pending de-vice and can't divulge details..
For 60 years, Best Metal Products has supplied leading original equipment manufacturers all over the world with high quality, American-made, custom hydraulic cylinders. Best Metal Products designs and manufactures custom hydraulic cylinders. www.bestmetalproducts.com
Feast, ye dogs... This is the machine, it's an Airplaco slabjack, AKA pea gravel pump. It's just like a tiny concrete pump. This is the cylinder I'm hoping to replicate. Double acting, plain (or neutral, I've learned) ends with a couple weldments on them. Here are the specs: rod diameter 1.25" piston diameter 2.25" stroke 10.25" compressed length 14.25" here's the wierd one: overall OD: 2.64 (67mm) bark bark
If you could get a "standard" tractor type cylinder with clevis weldements, why can't you just cut the weldements off?
Definitely an option.
Joe H wins! I checked in with everyone, and Tusker was the only one to get back to me with a quote. 4 month lead time, but at least that's something. Thank you sir!
Wait 4 months or fake it. I could and would fake it. What of those measurements is critical? Guessing the stroke? Joe H
https://www.princessauto.com/en/searchresults?Ntt=hydrolics%20cylinder
I routinely build and modify hydraulic cylinders, it's really not hard if you have some basic welding, or even better machining, tools. I just go to Northern, TSC, Surplus center, etc and buy a welded cylinder with what ever bore and rod size I need that's as long or longer than needed. Works great to repurpose those odd size used hydraulic cylinders too. You can either a) just cut the ends off, shorten to whatever length you need and reweld, or b)cut the cylinder down and rethread the barrel for the gland nut. You can also change the fitting bungs or their locations, just drill a new hole and weld whatever fitting on. The end weldments are easy, cross tube, swivel joint, etc just make it the way you want. I've made more tractor 3pt top links, side links, custom cylinders, etc than I can remember using these methods. A lathe makes it easy, but you can do it with just basic welding tools. Biggest thing is your welds need to be 100% sound so as not to leak or break.
Keep in mind 1 Us $ will get you about $1.35 Canadian $ Knocks the price down considerably for our American friends. d.d.
Why not rebuild the cylinder?
Too simple. Joe H
Guy wants a spare.
Stroke and OD
Or... I can just have the shop make me one and I only have to weld on the ends. Easy peasy. Oddly, it's only about $100 difference in cost. That doesn't even make sense for me to mod one.
I made a tilt cylinder for my tractor by buying a correct sized cylinder from Princes Auto, chopped off the ends with an abrasive saw, fabricated the bottom end piece, bought a top end and welded everything together. go buy a cylinder and get your chop saw/grinder out.