Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Unknown

Hank R · 2022-04-04 19:20

My friend Don hauling a ??? truck from the factory to Northern Alberta. Dec 19. 2019

Replies16
  1. #1Vetech632022-04-04 19:26

    Looks like a big Cat off-road truck.

  2. #2Nige2022-04-04 20:27

    No it ain't. At least it's not like any Cat chassis I've ever seen. Those two links at the front RH corner make me think it could be a Unit-Rig MT4400 because that model of truck has a single-beam front axle, not independent nitrogen-over-oil struts like most mining trucks. (Pic of Unit-Rig chassis below). If it is a Unit-Rig it will be painted the same Cat yellow as Cat's own line of trucks.

  3. #3Vetech632022-04-04 20:41

    Hey, it was yellow! LOL

  4. #4Hank R2022-04-08 19:22

    My Friend Dennis D went over to Siberia to help with a mine start up and send this picture to me in the late 80' ??

  5. #5alco2022-05-06 20:13

    Ah, but it is. That’s a 798 frame on its way to the oil sands.

  6. #6Nige2022-05-06 20:23

    You're right. it seems that Cat have adopted the Unit-Rig beam axle design for the front suspension of the 798. I wonder why.?

  7. #7alco2022-05-06 20:25

    I don’t know why, as the rough ride is the only thing I can really pick at on those trucks. They’re absolute beasts.

  8. #8Nige2022-05-06 20:29

    I had dealings with the older range of Unit-Rigs in Chile about 20 years ago and by ***k they were crude. They also rode like a brick..... From further delving it appears as though the 794, 796, & 798 all share that same front suspension design using a beam axle. How positively 19th Century.

  9. #9DDoug2022-05-06 21:21

    Maybe less machined parts ?

  10. #10Nige2022-05-06 22:21

    In my view - why change a design that has worked successfully for the past 50 years and is synonymous with good ride quality by sticking a beam axle under the front of the truck..? It makes no sense.

  11. #11DDoug2022-05-07 08:26

    Maybe to the beancounters it makes sense.

  12. #12Nige2022-05-07 09:47

    That would be one explanation.

  13. #13John C.2022-05-07 12:44

    Everything old is new again. Some young engineer thinks he is being clever?

  14. #14Nige2022-05-07 13:01

    I was wondering whether the Unit-Rig side of the Cat haul truck operation is being given the responsibility for design of the new range of electric-drive range trucks (794, 796, & 798) and the Cat side is concentrating on the mechanical-drive trucks.? If that's the case I wonder where that leaves the 795AC.?

  15. #15Cmark2022-05-07 19:02

    I've just has a quick look at the 798 in SIS and to say that it is a new design is giving it a bit too much credit. From what I can see it is the bones of a Unit Rig/Bucyrus truck with a lot of input from the corporate parts bin.

  16. #16Nige2022-05-07 19:34

    From what I can see the 794 & 796 appear to have come from the same gene pool as the 798.