Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Unknown brand of boom lift, plz help

mlappin ยท 2010-02-02 10:33

So, we have some painting that needs done, so Father bought a boomlift from a neighbor for about what a local contractor was going to charge us for the rental of one. In typical fashion it worked fine until we got it home. Somebody over the years either painted over the identification stickers and model or they just fell off. It's a 45' reach with the telescoping boom. Has a v4 Wisconsin in it. The base looks like a large x frame and is open. The man cage has two joysticks to cover movement and steering of the machine while the other handles up/down and swinging left to right. It has two small levers right under the controls in the mancage to handle tilt and swinging of the cage. The only thing I can find for an identifier is on the rear of the machine on the engine cowl it has a large "K" that looks to be cut out of 1/4" material. The base is black and the rest of the machine is yellow. Any have a clue as to what this beast might be? I handle the maintenance on all the rest of the equipment here on the farm so I'm fairly comfortable with hydraulics and I do all the electrical work as well. If it helps at all, I can snap a few pictures of it and post em.

Replies11
  1. #1OFF2010-02-02 16:51

    12 views and no response. Must be time for a picture. I can't think of a boom lift brand that starts with a K. :beatsme Lots of them used that engine back in the 70's too.

  2. #2mlappin2010-02-02 17:06

    I'll go out and see if I can snap a few decent pictures.

  3. #3mlappin2010-02-03 09:58

    I took several and placed em in Picassa, a Google app. Here is the link to the photos. I would have liked to taken it outside to take the photos, but now it will not raise the boom. Sounds like it's trying, but just won't do it. Besides not wanting to raise the boom, it also would keep the basket level when raising the boom, but when you lowered the boom, you'd have to manually level it on the way down. Of course now that father bought this little gem and it's acting up, he found a much better, much newer Marklift for a couple of grand more. To me it means he either paid way too much for this one, or the Marklift is in worse shape than this one.

  4. #4barklee2010-02-03 19:58

    Man you have ruined my night! I will be trying to figure out what this is untill the end. I want to say that it is a really old Condor lift, but i cant find any old pics of them. The K on the back doesnt make any sense if it is.... At any rate i am pretty sure its something that the manufacturer is no longer in buisness. Therefore it will be hell and expensive getting parts if its not a common item. I would recommend getting rid of this asap. We started out with lifts of around the same condition and age (guessing). They are nothing but trouble, the wisconsin motor is great when its running if its running. They eat points and condensors like mad, foul plugs like mad, you constantly are adjusting the timing, just a bad deal all around. Those old controllers are constantly breaking, wires are always breaking or losing voltage,bla, bla, bla. You get the point. I guess if you are using it for one small job and parking it the machine will work (maybe). Please dont buy a Marklift either. Terex owns marklift and discontinued them in 2002. We have 3 of the 2001-2002 lifts and they are headaches. Pray that they never break! Parts are crazy and terex doesnt really support the machines anymore. They are built light and cheap If you need a lift buy a JLG, Genie, or Snorkel. You can pick up a 199? JLG 40-H for $3000-$4000. They are pretty nice machines and cheap. Parts are fairly cheap and every national rental house will carry parts and easily service them. Best of luck and please let us know if you find out what the make of your lift is!!!

  5. #5OFF2010-02-04 10:00

    The pictures are blocked at my work, & I forgot to look last night at home If it is a Condor, I'll be able to identify it. The company I work for had a pair of 78ish Condors, a 50 and a 60. Oh man, the stories I could tell about working on them. :Banghead

  6. #6mlappin2010-02-04 13:48

    Jeez guys, you're not helping me exactly sleep thru the night either Maybe I need to start charging the old man the going shop rate for working on his "stuff" and he'll quit buying this crap and actually spend a little more to get something worth having. Don't even get me started on the great deal he got on a forklift about 6 years ago.

  7. #7willie592010-02-04 19:07

    Can't say for sure, been many years since I've worked on one, and it wasn't quite like that one, but I'm thinking it might be a Krause lift. That's my best guess.

  8. #8barklee2010-02-04 21:25

    Krause!!!!!! That is what i was trying to think of last night. I bet you are right, i just cant find a single pic on the web to prove it. We almost bought one years ago but opted for the Condors (yikes!) instead. I would kill to see a pic to verify it.

  9. #9willie592010-02-04 22:12

    LoL, me too barklee!

  10. #10mlappin2010-02-05 00:41

    So...we have a possible winner. I suppose unless all the planets were aligned the chances of finding a manual or schematics for this is right up their with finding an honest politician in Washington?

  11. #11illusion2010-02-11 12:29

    lmao ... good one mlappin ....