Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

UOE Assesment test?

basspro ยท 2009-02-10 14:08

OK, so many of you know I am on the waiting list to get into the appreticeship[ program. Well I have an assesment test sceduled for This Thursday (12th)! It sayes it tests depth perception, hand eye foot coordination, math, form perception. So, have any of you taken the assesment?...hints? What math do you use on a daily basis? Rise over run for slope? # of buckets to fill a truck maybe? I dunno, help me out. I have to admit I am kinda nervous. :throwup

Replies8
  1. #1Speedpup2009-02-10 19:00

    They send me guys that can hardly breath no less see don't worry. I do know getting older my eyes lost some depth perception. I would guess it would be basic math as you are not going to be an estimator. Loosen up and go down there with a few shots or Rye on your breath

  2. #2basspro2009-02-11 09:45

    allright whiskey sours it is! might feel weird drinking that early (test is at 7:30a), most say they drive better with a few in em any way right? LOL any1 else?

  3. #3basspro2009-02-12 16:04

    Ok, so the assesment test is over. It id divvied up into 11 or 12 sections. All done on computer. 4 sections to measure hand Eye, Hand Eye Foot (I scored a record YAY!), finger dexterity (make little fuses), & hand dexterity (take nuts off & on threads). The rest is all multiple choice. 3 sections on math...I suck at % I guess, not % slope, but 49.85 is what % of 384.97 type questions. 2 sections or 3 sections on form perception (picture of a bolt, & then match it up to other pictures). 1 section on shapes of paper, with fold lines, & cuts, & you have to visualise the end product. There was also one on vecabulary. Not Construction related in any way....never even seen the word "oune" before ***!!! They say I will find out my test results in 5 to 6 weeks. The highest ever score was 74.39% & 33.33% is passing. Of coarse the higher the score, the higher I get on the waiting list. May be a long wait though, as there is 350 apprentices out of work right now, & only 1 class sceduled for this year. 1300 folks already on the waiting list, so mught as well finds something else to do if I only scored 33%

  4. #4CascadeScaper2009-02-12 18:59

    We were required 75% I think it was to pass our testing into the apprenticeship. Our testing included a math section (50 questions) and a reading/literacy section (another 50). I missed 4 out of 100, wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. The math is important though, none of it is super difficult, but when you're working on a job as a grade checker you need to be able to bust it out. Up here in WA, there's about 450 apprentices total on an average year. Last season I don't know how many journeyed out and this season they aren't taking very many new apprentices, if any. We very well could be down into the high 300's or maybe even 350 by now, typically they graduate as many as they take every year. Last year we had 50 incoming, I was one of them. Work was slower, but I would imagine that quite a few journeyed out as normal. Out of 50 of us incoming, 20 didn't get called for work at all last year. That and we had to wait for all the 2nd year and up apprentices to go out to work first before we went. I would imagine that a good number of the 50 dropped out, even if some of them went to work, it was a short season. First 1st year apprentice called out wasn't until the 3rd week in July, I went out middle of August. I worked 6 weeks last year, that's it. However, I'm positive for this year, due to a large state road work budget, very few if any incoming apprentices and I'm no longer at the bottom of the out of work list. Plus my old company wants me back, however I told them whoever calls me first, the hall or my foreman, is where I'll be headed. But I would like to make it back to my old crew. Hang in there, it's a good program regardless of where you're at. Don't know how it is down there, but it's a sweet gig up here if you do well on the job.

  5. #5basspro2009-03-25 12:53

    I just got my results. I got a 70.00!!!! (remember the best ever recorded was a 74.XX. We will see how long it takes to get called for my inteview. When I do get called, I am not shure what to wear? Wear like I am on the job (dickies pants/work jacket, work boots), or dress up a bit (shirt tie?....button up shirt?) or just a collard shirt & nice jeans?

  6. #6special tool2009-03-25 13:08

    Third one's a winner.

  7. #7stock2009-03-25 17:36

    Congrats and well done,O! keep us updated on your progress. Stock

  8. #8Turbo218352009-03-25 18:09

    Like special tool said, third option. Haircut a week before. Shower day of. Its the same general idea as a job interview. First impression is a lot.