Do they like it or hate it? Do they work in it or help you with it?. You know wives, brothers, sisters, parents, your children? Do they have patience if you have your own business and work many hours? My parents were great assets years ago. I started when I was 23 in 1975 and the died in 1988 & 1992. Some girlsfriends didn't want to do squat. My present one of 8 years would do anything to help me. No other family or kids. If your young have a bunch and put them to work! Would you let your kids in your business or train to take it over?
my father, his father and both his brothers are union sheet meatal workers. he and i knew at 3 yaers old, i was going to be an operator. i think it drives him nuts that i broke the chain of Flynn's as tinners, but he seems proud nontheless. he helped get me in the local and has given me good guidance my whole life.
My wifes the brains of the outfitt, I just pull the levers. Its been working that way for 32yrs now.
I come from a long line of farmers. Hated farming, so I got into construction. Dont get me wrong, I love the farm, and the life, just not the pay! Mabey some day, I'll get back to it. My mom actually got me intrested in it. She worked as a flagger for 15 years. I remember putting up hay along side a road job mom was flagging on in 93. I thought to myself, those scrappers look awesome! I went and talked to the boss, and havent looked back!! Dad is real proud of what I've done, although he would like some help! I have yet to find a woman that will put with my nomadic lifestyle, but thats their fault!! All in all though, my family and my friends support what I do, and quite a few of my logger buddies want to do what I do, but thier wifes wont let em! Jason
Well, a small family farm and ranch corporation... fire fighting and some dirt work on the side. Me... my Brother... my Mother. Kinda like a big gnarly knot that won't untangle. . Seems to be quite typical... OCR
Grandpa started the biz with his brother in 1946, grinding lime for his brother in law. My grandmas two brothers both worked for them as well, one for over 50 years. My dad started working full time for him in 1974, but had been on machines since he was 14. I started running around the job sites from the time I was 6 and running equipment starting at 14 as well. We finally phased out the biz in 2007. My grandpa is almost 100% swiss and although he can be the most caring person in the world he has a temper that is only rivled by a few. When working he had thing he wanted and if they were not done that way he was mad, and more than 20 mins for lunch was considered a waste of time(would get mad at the fuel man if he showed up in the middle of production too). I enjoyed working with grandpa although there were many many days we were at each other, but thats the way things were. I have him to thank for many things as he let me do a ton of things that only grandpas do, you guys know what I mean. My uncle Harv, he has the most paitence of anyone I have ever known, screw somthing up and Harv just would do what he needed to do to fix it. Never ever seen him raise his voice in my life, and I mean that. Harvey, like many very good operators, would just take his time all day and to sit and watch him drove a person nuts, but at the end of the day everything was done and every ounce of dirt had its place(and honestly didn't take him any longer than anyone else, just done better). Uncle Harvey taught me a ton and really showed me the term "slower is faster" is very true indeed. He would let me make a mistake than after fixing it, take the time to explain why and how to do it different next time. My dad is one of my best friends, although there is 30 years between us we share a handful of the same interest. For me all I wanted to do when I was younger was work with dad, spent many many hours riding on a dozer with him. As I grew up and into the teen years(the know it all years) dad and I had plenty of battles and it was just best if everyone else just stay out of it and let the two of us go at it. Now a days, I talk to my dad almost daily and pretty much anytime I have a question about moving dirt or somthing at the house I call him. Working with family is a different experience than anyone you will ever work with. I started out working with family and there were many many days where dad and I or grandpa and dad or all three of us(Harv usually just did his thing and stayed out of the aruging), would be fighting about some dam thing. But there were many many times when it was a real fun experience to have three generations moving dirt together. They are memories which will never be replaced nor ever matched. There were many days when a guy thought time to get out of this but looking back I'd go back to doing the work we used to do in a heartbeat, hands down. Trbo
Well, I'll be the third generatin, and im proud as hell to work in the business my Grandfather started, but i can only take working for my Dad for about 18 month at a time. Been there for ten yeas though ive taken some sabbaticals to do other work as well. On call 24 seven, family outings turn into meetings, 130 hrs a week at 17 bucks an hour and being expected to run the place while not being allowed to make decisions gets hard on the head. So right now im in fort mcmurray for a litle while, ill go back one of these days but who knows when.
My father started this job but my mother hates this job!!!
Well, me and Dad both run our current business, we are the only 2 in the family in the dirt side of construction but Dad's Dad and all dad's uncles were in the construction industry or are still involved, mostly plumbing, electricians or framing.. I've also got some Farmers in the family, I love doing that, but the pay and not knowing is the worst part imo, its a great hobby but its just hard to make a living farming anymore so the farm back home (Ohio) was shut down, now we've only got some of the land left, a little 100acre parcel that we hunt on and Great Grand Daddy's place that is another 100 or so acres. The only thing that is grown on either farm is hay.. But I've got 2 brothers and I am the only one that currently works in this industry, my oldest brother lives in Ohio and makes steel ceilings, he wants to come work for us but we arent yet big enough to support another person and his job is just to good to leave.. And my other brother just graduated from Navy Basic Training. I know he will probably never work in this industry, its just not his cup of tea... Thats basically the jist of it...
I halve the same story on the farming,Started working dirt in 1994 still love it today.3 years ago we rented out our farm ground to our nieghber.now I can focuse more on my excavating.If I start to miss farming ,the nieghber said to jump on the tractor any time.My wife helps with billing&paperwork. my father also helps part time.My family has always been supportive.