Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Update on my D4C Series II purchase and repairs

davejor ยท 2023-07-09 14:02

I would like to provide an update on my recent D4C purchase since this forum has been very helpful. Also whoever reads this forum has an interest. I purchased a D4C Series II 1992 to replace my old TD14A from 1952(Had it the last 23 years). It's a logging equipped cat as I own a small woodland. Purchased for $18700 including delivery of 120 miles away. Initial condition: 5900 hours, Carco 30B winch with 0 hours on rebuild at Cat dealer, Undercarriage: Chain internal left 30%, chain internal right 80%, chain height 40%, idlers 50%, sprockets 95%, track shoes 40%, Bottom rollers except back two rollers on right 80%, two rollers on right bearings completely gone with 3 inch diameter hole(likely cause of uneven chain wear). Top rollers 150%. Parking brakes and seat adjustment not functional, fixed with oil and cleaning. Replaced all fluids. Replace both top rollers and all bottom rollers on right side. Replaced sprocket segments. Replaced radiator cap, Oil pressure sending unit, horn, rear view mirror, fuel cap, seat bottom, reupholster seat top. Cleaned fuel tank Replaced seal on governor shaft. Replaced u shaped hydraulic fitting on angle cylinder right. Total cost of parts and oil $4300. Checked torque converter stall: 2200 RPM open throttle, 1740 RPM stalled. No movement of shaft to steering clutches. Engine has plenty of blow by but I understand this is common for this engine. I sent the old TD14A to auction and got an unbelievable $4400 for it. (Paid $2500 23 years ago) Would have been happy to get $1000 for it.

Replies1
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-07-10 01:10

    Tracks look just a little too tight but should be a good machine for you.