Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Upgrade Hydraulic Pump for JCB 210S?

cherokee101 ยท 2014-01-05 00:32

Anybody ever found a way to put a larger pump on a machine like this and did it cause problems? I just finished building an adapter from the JCB 210S standard mount to SAE Skid Steer hitch. I still gotta paint it. Now I can use my forks, bale hugger, tree shear, grapple and teleboom! Yahoo! It all turned out well after three plywood mockups to make sure it would all fit and function well before I started hacking up 3/4" plate and turning the bushings. It has me thinking though, it sure would be nice to have 20 gpm instead of 12gpm on the auxiliary hydraulic circuits on front and back. I could run a little flail shredder on the back hoe for fence rows and such and a small hydraulic brush cutter on front for well, brush. It is a gear pump and the machine has an oil cooler plus a very large hydraulic tank, more than 20 gallons. Anybody ever found a way to put a larger pump on a machine like this and did it cause problems? I've found a gear pump that should work well if I can figure out the right mount and get the hydraulic fittings on it. Putting a small pump less than 20 gpm on this kind of equipment these days just makes no sense. This machine is waaaay better than a skid steer for me. It doesn't make sense that JCB quit making them. They are perfect for landscaping and large property maintenance. I'd like a 210 or 212SU with a pto on it as well but they are hard to find for a good price.

Replies7
  1. #1mikebramel2014-01-05 10:57

    If it is hydrostatic you may be able to upgrade the pump as you will be able to maintain a fixed engine speed. If it has a torque converter I don't think it will work very well for you. Do you know what size mount and shaft

  2. #2cherokee1012014-01-05 11:05

    Torque converter. I guess you're referring to the desirability of keeping the engine speed constant to keep the pump output and the blade rpm on the cutter constant though one is changing the ground speed. Good point. Not a production machine but I see the point for going back and forth. Good reason to use a small flail on the backhoe then. I really just want something to clean along the fences. With the side shift I can move the hoe all the way to one side to reach across to the other side and counter balance that way. No, I have not had it apart to find out what shaft size and splines it has. I'm thinking it is 7/8" x 13 spline but not sure at all. I'll have to do some more digging on that of course. My Schaeff loader is hydro and it would make one heck of a serious brush cutter with a mulching flail and a power pack hung off the back or a bigger engine. I think the pump and motor need rebuilt on that one though and that is terribly expensive even if one just buys parts. When the thing gets warm it is a pig.

  3. #3GregD12014-01-05 22:29

    I think you will end up with more headaches than it`s worth. While it may be an undersizes pump, the rest of the hydraulic systen was installed with the pump flow that it now has. The spools in the control valve, relief valves, the hosese and fittings will only flow so much no matter how much pump you put on it.

  4. #4cherokee1012014-01-07 00:10

    I just need a few more gpm. It is tantalizingly close. I've checked the velocities for 20 gpm and it stays below 17 fps which is the good rule of thumb limit for erosion.

  5. #5icestationzebra2014-01-07 00:44

    Erosion? Sure you're not thinking of turbulence? What is the line size? You are only talking about bumping the flow ~15% so that should be doable, but to Greg's point you will have greater pressure drop and consequentially heat. And there is most likely enough margin, but there is a possibility that you might get cavitation with cold oil or fatigue the pump drive. Ideally you could find the same model pump with a larger displacement so the ports match up. ISZ

  6. #6cherokee1012017-05-08 20:09

    Erosion is a close cousin of turbulence but velocities above 17 fps is my rule of thumb for flow in pipe work to be very safe about erosion when moving a lot of fluid for a long time. Right now I can't get the stupid O-ring seal on the face place on the discharge end to seal up. I've had it in and out three times now. I'm beginning to wonder if there is not a cracked port.

  7. #7Pickards12024-05-11 00:40

    Can you tell me where the hydraulic pump is located on those jcb 210? Thank you