Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What a FIND.. 580B

thepumpguysc ยท 2014-01-04 14:01

My neighbor called me yesterday and wanted me to go with him this morning to look at a backhoe he was thinking about buying. HE didn't know it was a 580B until we got there.. HE thought it was a Ford.. Somebody painted it "Hunter Green" and all the decals were painted over.[rookies] It had been sitting in the woods for 2 years.. I checked the fluids.. all good and NO WATER.. I hooked my jump box up, turned the key and she roared to life, like it just ran the day before.. which it didn't, cuz we had to chop our way to it.. I let it warm up for about 30 minutes and checked for leaks.. none!! Checked the "blow-by"... almost non existent.. Jumped up and started working the bucket and the hoe.. bucket went to full stroke in 4-5 seconds!! curled and dumped like new.. NO LEAKS The hoe had 1 small leak at one of the banjo bolt connectors.. just an oring, easy fix. The control block is alittle tricky tho.. when you lower the stabilizer, the boom would swing and vise a versa.. swing the boom and the stabilizer would lift.. I did find that if you put "alittle" pressure on the stabilizer control, the swing would work normally.. I'll probably figure it out but just wondering if there is any adjustments? AFTER I checked all that out, it was time to move the machine.. Left rear tire was locked up.. she spinned around in circles "nicely" tho.. I threw it in reverse and she took off.. back in drive and we were running thru the woods.. I brought it out in the open field to recheck the fluids and blow-by.. still ok.. We went to the house to talk to the owner.. he brings out ALL the manuals AND service records for a Case 580B.. PRICE YOU ASK??? $3500.00 DELIVERED.. What a steal!! It was such a steal, my neighbor let the PO use it until next week, when he'll deliver it.. I'll clean it up for him, fix the small hydo leak, and probably end up rebuilding the control block.. Any advise would be appreciated.. Thanks. OTHER THAN, GO BACK AND GIVE THE GUY 5 MORE GRAND..

Replies6
  1. #1jackleg2014-01-04 20:51

    I hate you... HA HA just kidding Sounds like that 580 is lucky you came along and rescued it

  2. #2kb9tci2014-01-04 22:26

    Does he have anything else parked in the woods needing a new home?? Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

  3. #3Delmer2014-01-05 09:43

    Put another filter on the outlet to the tank, or drain the tank and clean it right away, or just watch the filters closely until it's run a few tanks through. But telling that to The Pumpguy is kinda like bringing coals to Newcastle???

  4. #4thepumpguysc2014-01-05 10:37

    KB9> he had 2 Ford loaders he didn't want to part with.. and a 4620 pulling a bush hog.. "Maybe next year" Delmer>:drinkup.. I was thinking that same thing.. especially after offering it to the PO for a week.. {I did notice the tank was about empty..** I sure hope he doesn't pollute the fuel system before I can get to it.

  5. #5TLR152014-01-05 13:20

    nice find! Any idea how many hours?

  6. #6thepumpguysc2014-01-06 05:57

    To be honest, I didn't look to see if it had a meter.. I was so imprested with the performance of the engine and lack of blow-by and hydro functions that I didn't think hrs were an issue.. ESPECIALLY since the owner had ALL the service records from the dealer.. Cant wait till it gets delivered.. I'm "chompin' at the bit" to get my hands on it and get it cleaned up..