Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Upgrading a topkick

440chevy ยท 2009-06-23 22:22

I've got a 94' Topkick that had the engine blow 6 years ago and got a brand new 3116 Cat that probably has 5,000 miles on it only. Truck has 180,000. Has a good landscaper box on it and is a 26,000 GVWR truck with air brakes. It's got a 6spd eaton on it and really just has no power. I've been wondering if I could get a 10spd and some heavier axles with lower gears under it and license it for 33,000. Would it be necessary to double the frame in the middle or would it hold up? I've also got a pusher I could get cheap and possibly throw it under there. So, any input would be great. I'm not quite sure how/if it would all work out. Also anyone know what a guy could expect to pay for a used 10 spd and 21K rear axle?

Replies3
  1. #1nedly052009-06-29 05:29

    We put a 13 speed in our 7500, replaced the 6 speed. When you go with the bigger trans you wont have to put in lower gears.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2009-06-29 08:29

    I don't know about out there, but here in NY if you want to upgrade a truck to a higher GVW it has to be certified by a licensed upfitter. It used to be done years ago, but anymore with all the liability suits going on, no one is willing to do it. The upfitter essentially assumes liability if there is a failure of anything that could be related to the extra weight carried so not many want to get involved.

  3. #3nedly052009-06-30 05:09

    When we bought our 5500 we had an extra spring or two added and had the GVW bumped up to 26,000 to beat the CDL laws. My friend then tried to do the same with his F-550 but he couldnt get it done, the up-fitter told him the 5500 is designed to be able to do that, but the F-550 was not. Check around and see, thats about all you can do.