Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

upright tl 38

kurt ackerman · 2021-09-11 15:33

I recently purchased this from my old boss.Its batteries are also less then 2 years old. he took to dealer they replaced the board which cost over 2k. however the lift still only works when it wants too. pretty sure it has to do with the outrigger sensors. The dealer kept trying to get him to buy a new 1 an basiclly get rid of this lift. Is there any way to bypass the sensors? Thanks for any and all pointers Kurt

Replies18
  1. #1Delmer2021-09-11 18:09

    This is a tow behind bucket lift to save anybody the search. Anything can be bypassed, but I'd think about that a bit before going to that trouble. You'd probably end up recreating the whole control system minus the board. I'd think it would be easier to familiarize yourself with the wiring diagram, run some wires to see what's happening when it acts up vs when it operated normally, and go from there. Are there any diagnostics on this machine to tell you what it's seeing?

  2. #2kurt ackerman2021-09-15 11:29

    Yes this is a towable style lift. I was able to get my hands on the manual but its plenty limited on the info. Current status is... If i turn the key on in the basket then turn the lower control switch to on then the basket switch to on. I get 1 green power light to turn on at the base controls. I am guessing since there are 2 lights they should both be illuminated. thanks for any info

  3. #3southernman132021-09-15 16:59

    Upright was bought out by snorkel. U may get some info from them. I never owned a tl38 but I did own a few ab38’s. Those were self propelled models very good machines. There should be a motor controller in the lower control box that should be flashing a code if there’s a fault. It would normally be a series of flashes. Like 3 quick flashes then maybe two slower flashes then 3 quick again etc. not necessarily like that but if it’s not a solid green light it’s probably flashing a code. Could even be a code chart in there idk. Good luck

  4. #4kurt ackerman2021-09-17 15:12

    thanks for the reply. I checked the voltage on the batteries and they all read about 2.3. I guess i found a starting place. 4 new batteries. pricing them looks like 165 each for interstate gc2-ecl-utl deep cycle extreme.

  5. #5southernman132021-09-17 15:55

    Yea that will definitely cause an issue. Low voltage is bad in electric lifts. Will make u do all kinds of **** lol. Good luck

  6. #6kurt ackerman2021-09-18 21:09

    Is there a way i can power with out using the batteries to check unit. 24volts dc power supply? Batteries gonna cost 600.

  7. #7southernman132021-09-19 10:20

    U could use 2 12volt batteries wired to 24 just to check it out. Should make everything work just not gonna have enough power to run long but should do the trick

  8. #8kurt ackerman2021-09-20 15:20

    Great.. thanks I will try that. I have 2 deep cycle batteries for my trollong motor

  9. #9southernman132021-09-21 04:53

    Just make sure you don’t substitute the 2 12volts for the 4-6volts and try to use it. Do this for testing purpose only. The batteries are part of the counterweight for the machine

  10. #10kurt ackerman2021-09-21 14:36

    Thanks. i now have 24.5 volts. Still does nothing. I looked at the computer when i turn the switch to use the chasis controls the light looked to blink 2 times then remained solid. I heard a click when trying to use the downrigggers on all 4 switches. I am just thinkingi need to check the electic motor. 02 code is system communication error

  11. #11kurt ackerman2021-09-21 14:59

    Opened the basket control box. One componet was not hooked up.

  12. #12kurt ackerman2021-09-21 15:02
  13. #13Delmer2021-09-21 15:04

    Should be 25 to almost 26 volts with charged batteries. Check the voltage under load, or when trying to put it under load. That looks like an alarm/beeper. Sorry, I'm no help on the computer issues.

  14. #14kurt ackerman2021-09-21 15:16

    would this not being hooked up cause the machine to not operate?

  15. #15Delmer2021-09-21 16:43

    I would guess no, the machine wouldn't likely be monitoring if the alarm is beeping or not.

  16. #16kurt ackerman2021-09-24 17:29

    Thoughts on re pinning the connectors on both ends. Basket and ground. Communication error. Thanks

  17. #17slwbid2021-12-22 18:23

    The audible alarm not being hooked up will not cause it not to operate (has been my experience)

  18. #18tool_king2021-12-26 17:57

    Snorkel sold off the Upright line to Parts Plus There number is 559-443-6600 or 866-843-3350 west coast. https://www.epartsplus.com Here are the two manual depending on serial number