Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

US Emissions rules for class 8 trucks.

wlhequipment ยท 2024-11-01 17:58

Can someone educate me on the emissions regs for class 8 trucks? I have a customer with a 2010 T660 dump with an ISX in it. He told me today he's worried that within the next couple years, the emissions standards could change and force him to swap his engine or get a new truck. I certainly believe that standards and regs can change, but is that true with the big trucks, the feds can say the engine that was built in 2010 now has to comply with standards in 2025 (or whatever year)? In the automotive world, you only have to comply with the standards that were in place when your car was built. Is that not the same with big trucks?

Replies21
  1. #1Truck Shop2024-11-01 18:18

    Basically--California, they set their own standard for on road use. So far the feds have not set or determined any non compliance dates for on highway use. And I doubt it will happen given the fact EV commercial transports have hit a major rut---nobody is interested or buying in any large quantities, most all ideas are going on idle mode at this time. The electronic log is one example--there are many running 1999 and down for one big reason--E-Logs are not required for anything that old. And most of that has to do with no data connections.

  2. #2Truck Shop2024-11-01 18:39

    The reg that will cause change and this makes me chuckle---------A CDL stamped/printed with AMT or Automatics only. In many ways that will be the regulation that causes the most disruption when it comes to running old equipment and employees are only allowed to drive auto's. Off to the bone yard, then drug to the excavator equipped with a snip.

  3. #3cfherrman2024-11-01 21:39

    I not have heard that, and that might crash the business as there is tons of old trucks on the road I have heard that the warranty and performance will double in something like 2027 so expect the truck probably be to double

  4. #4Truck Shop2024-11-01 22:07

    It's known but not talked about, Agriculture is one area. It will take a bit-but most the company hires only have a auto classification. The driving schools that perform final CDL test in our yard, I have seen but two tests in the last six months that used a manual transmission.

  5. #5wlhequipment2024-11-01 22:18

    Yeah I kinda thought he was full of it. I see lots of old rigs out there. I drive a class 6 International, but didn't know if the rules were different for the big boys. Funny thing about the auto trans - he said his next rig is going to be an auto because nobody knows how to drive a manual anymore, and resale value for an 18 speed is crap compared to the Allison. I think all of this is just him wanting a new rig, and spinning yarns about why. I never heard of anyone having to replace their engine because it can't keep up with new emissions regs. Lots of other reasons, but not that.

  6. #6cfherrman2024-11-01 22:43

    Ohh I was talking about emissions lol, I do plan on opening a CDL school in the next 6 months, manual only

  7. #7Truck Shop2024-11-02 06:20

    Ohhh I was talking about what's at hand lol, I do plan on opening a well maintenance business, all automatic though.

  8. #8Truck Shop2024-11-02 07:45

    The ratio of new trucks manufactured with AMT's to manual is about 8 out of 10 at this point.

  9. #9Acoals2024-11-02 09:36

    Don't they already do that? "E" restriction . . .

  10. #10Truck Shop2024-11-02 10:28

    Yes--I believe that's what I said. The thing I like about it is people who tout what wonderful thing automatics are especially Allison's. Allison's have been around how long? Used in on highway how long? And then along comes the CDL restriction. When that rule came into effect-----I laughed, it was the icing on the cake as a way to get rid of pre-emission trucks, just a little something to help it along. No one was looking that direction.

  11. #11cfherrman2024-11-02 10:47

    I'm not going to be training semi truck over the road drivers although I'll take anyone's money, I'll be doing more of a vocational type training where all the trucks are still manuals, heck all the trucks are still pre emissions. Ts I didn't know you had millions sitting around to do an automatic well service rig haha

  12. #12Truck Shop2024-11-02 10:53

    I don't, I was strictly making fun of your post.

  13. #13cfherrman2024-11-02 13:05

    Yeah I know

  14. #14finley97544d2024-11-23 02:25

    Great

  15. #15IceHole2024-11-23 02:47

    Cali is the only place not allowing "old" trucks that I know if. Carriers either need to buy newer trucks or give the finger to Cali... i suppose all depends on the business. Tough for a logger in Cali to say FU. Easy for a freight hauler that only did Cali deliveries a few times a year.

  16. #16Birken Vogt2024-11-23 13:01

    Logging fleets in California have some degree of exemption because ag in California got a big exemption for old trucks because ag is very powerful and many old trucks are used only once or twice a year. Forestry is considered ag, plus it usually only happens in remote areas, so forestry rigs have some exemptions. However it is very complicated to administer the exemptions. They sure love their rules and regulations here.

  17. #17rangair942024-11-23 13:59

    They're not going to be exempt for much longer with the new emissions testing that starting to take place. All trucks operating in California (even registered in other states) will have to register with the air resource board and have their tucks tested. 2012 and older will have to have an opacity test once a year and 2013 and newer will have to be testes twice a year. The testing will double to twice and quarterly, I believe in 2027 or 28. If you fail to register and test you wont get you registration renewed.

  18. #18Birken Vogt2024-11-23 14:24

    I don't follow the rules in detail, but more frequent testing does not negate exemptions. All the exempt trucks are very strictly registered and monitored and we had to do opacity tests since before DPF was even invented.

  19. #19cfherrman2024-11-23 18:48

    Ca surely wants trucking to be even more expensive to and from ca

  20. #20chidog2024-11-23 20:28

    No matter. I just hope some great changes are in the works. Ca, how come there is still so many petroleum wells and gas wells there, some hiding in buildings in major cities ha ha ha? How come there is any kind of manufacturing or any delivery's there? I can't figure it out.

  21. #21Birken Vogt2024-11-23 20:36

    I don't know the direct answer to the question. Maybe because California was not always like it is now and the infrastructure is still here. Massive ag up and down the state. Car factories in several places, you can't just take them to another state. Railroads and petroleum pipelines. Large refineries. Huge marine terminals. Sizeable military installations.