I’m looking for a ‘new to me’ excavator in the 12,000 lbs range. I do not want to have an overly ‘computerized’ excavator. Something circa 1998 to 2002 should suffice hydraulically (pre load sensing systems I imagine) and be relatively straightforward to maintain/modify. But, I want one that has 3rd and 4th hydraulic valves fitted (and here I assume that an OEM configured 3rd/4th valve system plumbed with rigid tubing would, on balance, be more desirable than a DIY aftermarket effort done completely with hose). And I also assume that it would be more expensive to buy one with just a 3rd valve and then piece together the 4th valve system myself (especially if I wanted to do it ‘properly’ with rigid tubing). The only machines in this size range that always seem to be equipped with 3rd & 4th valves are the Schaeff-Terex HR22’s (at about 12,500 lbs). Anyone have an opinion about Schaeff-Terex units of this size? This size excavator should be towable behind a (suitably geared/tired/braked) 1 ton SRW 4WD diesel pickup (Cat pictured their 11,700 lb 305 in a 2003 brochure on a gooseneck trailer behind a Chevy/GMC 3500) without attracting undue attention from every LEO that passes by while I’m towing it. Or not? I’ve been pouring over specification sheets and sales listings for every unit I’ve come across that’s in the ballpark regarding weight (ie. nothing under 11,000 lbs or over 13,000 lbs) and I have yet to find any machine other than the Schaeff-Terex excavators that have that elusive 4th hydraulic valve. Is a 4th valve really that uncommon on this size excavator? I also need to use this excavator on a regular basis to pick up various pieces of machinery in the 4,500 lb range, so finding a machine with a sufficient lifting capacity is also important. Are there any other machines that forum members feel I should be looking at? Anyone know of a suitable machine currently for sale? Many thanks for all who take the time to respond. Best regards, Steve
hitachi ex60-5 probably the best 6ton machine ever built
I have a takeuchi tb53fr, and its awesome... very powerful and very smooth and the boom pivot system is the best anyone has on a mini. I think to regularly pick 4500 its going to be close in and your going to have to have the bucket off to gain every ounce you can. Your going to have to be awefully picky to get a trailer that is light enough to keep you under gcvwr and strong enough to carry the hoe. For a while I used a 14k tilt trailer and the tires didnt like it, didnt have a problem per say, but they were getting warm and stuff. My tak weight is really close to 13k inc the thumb. I'm going to say that you better not have a trailer over 4k pounds and your going to want that in a goose neck cause its too much weight for bumper pull. Think 16k aluminium gooseneck... I have moved mine behind my f-350 diesel, srw, 4x4 11' model, while it has the motor, its alot more comfortable riding on the 20 ton, behind the f-800.
Why are you stuck on the amount of aux valves available? 3rd and 4th valve, is not correct either, IMO. For a machine that size, you have boom, stick, bucket, swing. That is 4 already. Then you likely have a blade, hydraulic coupler, and auxillary for attachments. Sometimes the auxillary is adjustable for pressure and/or flow rate, to accomodate many attachments, from a thumb to hammers, clams, etc...... Some attachments will take the flow from this valve and divert it with electric over hydraulic valving to provide multiple functions with one set of valving on the machine. I think a Rototilt does this, and others.
My 1999 Hitachi EX60-5 weighs in at 16'500 lbs. That's with only about 20L fuel, 42" cleanout bucket w/ quickchange, blade, hydro thumb, and 24'' grousers vs 18" stock. Your going to have a hard time getting an advertised 6 ish ton machine to weigh in where you will be comfortable to tow it. The new 1 ton duallys are having a capacity war for towing weights and payloads. GCWR (combined truck /trailer weight) of 24'ooo lbs are available in a dually 1 ton. Truck prob weighs 8500 lbs plus extra equipment/ machine fuel etc. Say 9000 lb tow vehicle, from 24k max total gives you a 15000 lb trailer cap. I don't think you could legaly do it with all the required extras for operation. It's one thing to tow the machine, but another to take your buckets as well. digging, cleanout and trenching, maybe a fork etc. Not that you take all these to a jobsite, or need to do it all at once. What I did was get a 5 ton single axle truck with Air brakes. Put a dumping flat deck on and built 8 ft steel ramps that I bolt to the back with 6 inch blocks on the ground for the ramps. Deck height is about 50 inches depending on road and terrain. Quite a ride putting 'er on... That seems to be the easiest for me, as I can take all my buckets and then have a dump truck as well on site. The other issues is the requirement for an over 10'000 lb trailer endorsement on your license, depending on your local regs. When I picked up my machine on the flat deck I went through a mountain range, that was pucker factor enough for me, couln't imagine towing that much weight with a mere dually and inadequate brakes. My recommendatrion is to find peoples actual operating weights, as the advertised machine weights are likely less than what they are working. Case in point, my EX60-5 at 16'500 lbs that is a 6 ton machine advertised.