After doing more research, I now know that I'm really looking for a used backhoe that offers an easily detachable backhoe attachment to switch to a rear grading blade without heavy tools. Preferably with larger, (or equal size$ front tires due to rugged terrain) I don't know what year(s) different manufacturers started making them with that feature, so I'm trying to find the earliest made models with that feature for affordability. Will not be used for heavy commercial operation, just some lot work, a few septics,and grading gravel driveways, etc. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to buy one before the weather turns. Tia
Massey used to make units with the fairly easily removable hoe, and I've seen a number that had the 3 point behind that. They're more conventional units though. 2wd, normal front tires. That said, the MF202 I have did the things you're asking for, and our property is nothing but a lot of rocks on the side of a hill. I don't believe we ever had significant tire issues. We have truck tires on the front. Also no cab, but I know they did that on later machines. That said, the old ** hoes tend to have the rotary cylinders, so repair is an issue. If I may... Consider finding a loader/backhoe, and then something light and simple to run a blade/rake. We run an 8N or ** 135 for blade/rake work. Either are plentiful, reliable, and easy to work on. The Massey without the hoe is a pig on skates, I'm not sure I'd bother trying to use it with a 3 point. Sometimes there isn't going to be that one perfect machine...
Welcome to HEF, Onthe45th ! You have a major obstacle to deal with. Backhoes and their hoses are not easily removed from the tractor they are mounted on. They are also extremely dangerous to stabilize and store after they are detached. After it is removed you will need a 3 point hitch and a control valve along with hoses to operate it for a box scraper or blade. I cannot imagine how long it would take to remove one and mount the other. Your best option is to buy two machines. There are backhoes that utilize a 3 point hitch. I rented one many years ago and it wasn't much better than a shovel.
I had a Cat Tractor/backhoe with a 3 pt hitch in back. It was an Adco rebranded to Cat and with a full frame for the backhoe, it did quite well, even with implements. I have never seen one quite like it. It had an Izuzu 3 cylinder 39 HP motor. They seem to be a unicorn.
Much easier on the back to have 2 dedicated tractors that do both functions. With smart shopping and a lot of sweat equity I have about 25 grand in these two machines.
Get a Ford 4500 with a 3pt hitch. Parts are available everywhere and interchangeable with almost anything built from 1965-2001. The loader picks up about 4500lbs and depending which BH attachment is on, it digs 13-15ft. I’ve had 5-6 over the years and you really have to go outta your way to kill one. It takes about 30min to drop the BH once you’ve done it a few times. I like the power reserving trans for moving dirt but prefer the manual trans with the BH attachment. You don’t have to worry about the trans over heating and it’s more useful for ground engaging farm work. I passed on this one a week ago because I have to many irons in the fire right now. About killed me to let it go.