Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Reputable source for Case 580K injectors.

pdhntr · 2024-10-17 11:50

I am planning on replacing the injectors on my 1990 Case 580K. Cummins 4b 3.9. Looking for them on the net there seems to be rebuilt, new and then some that don't say. Would like to go with a trusted source. Recommendations appreciated. Thanks. Edited to add: Researching I found this: "Please note: Cummins updated old style 9mm tip injectors to 7mm tips. If your cylinder head has the old style 9mm opening, adapters are available to use these new 7mm in the 9mm ports." Jim

Replies11
  1. #1Tinkerer2024-10-19 09:13

    You quite likely will regret buying rebuilt injectors. I did. Shops that repair fuel injection pumps usually will test injectors for a small fee. I had a shop test them for free. I only needed one new injector. No need for any adapters if you buy the correct injector for your 580K. 580K has 7mm. 580K Series 3 has 9mm injectors. Obviously if you buy 9mm they won't go in a 7mm hole. If there is a chance engine has been replaced with one that isn't identical to the OEM you prolly should remove an injector and measure it. IMHO.

  2. #2pdhntr2024-10-19 10:34

    I was not going to buy rebuilt. The size is the issue I am dealing with now. I found all kinds of 7mm ones and they have many applications listed. I also found one listing for 9mm injectors and they have only one application listed, the 580K. The injectors are new, not reman made by Maxiforce (?). They are on the HDP website. One year warranty. I agree that I should measure to be sure. At this point I suppose I should order a service manual or at least the computerized version, but is there anything that is critical if I should take out one of the injectors and measure it? The R & R process looks straightforward but I don't know. Thanks Tinkerer for the information. Jim

  3. #3Tinkerer2024-10-19 11:12

    Which series tractor do you have ? Is the gear shift in the floor or in the side console ? I have the service manual. It is not for the Series 3 tho. Send me your email address in a private conversation and I will send you an invitation to download it from my Google Drive. I would be skeptical if Maxiforce are new injectors. Oregon Fuel Injection sells genuine Bosch injectors.

  4. #4pdhntr2024-10-19 15:43

    Series/phase 3. By frame number it falls in the 1990 range. Shifter on the side console. I appreciate the offer for the download, but I probably should get the one for my machine. I just found out that might not be as easy as I thought either. I was going to buy one to download and now I find it is only for Windows operating systems. Don't have any Windows. Good grief, this just keeps getting more complicated. I am more than a little skeptical of "Maxiforce" injectors also. And, my wife's birthday is coming up and I am guessing she really wants the Bosch injectors instead of the cheap ones. Thanks again Tinkerer. Jim

  5. #5Tinkerer2024-10-19 16:22

    If you purchase the manual on a CD or thumb drive it does not matter what operating system you use. The manual will be a .pdf file. All you need is a .pdf reader. There are many of them online and downloadable for free. I bet your wife will love her bday gift. I looked at the Maxiforce website. I see they are in Florida. I think everything I ever saw coming out of Florida is rebuilt stuff or cheap chinese junk.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2024-10-19 17:21

    Why not send them to me.? I’ll clean and pop test them.. And rebuild if needed..

  7. #7Joe H2024-10-19 17:43

    I agree, send them to pumpguy for a quality rebuild. Joe H

  8. #8Tinkerer2024-10-19 19:54

    Good grief !! After all the years I have known pumpguy, I didn't know he rebuilt injectors. I feel really stupid (again).

  9. #9pdhntr2024-10-19 20:30

    He Tinkerer, if you didn't know, you certainly aren't stupid. We both have some good information for the future. I am in the process of trying to get the service manual for my machine so I can figure out IF I can remove the injectors myself. If someone wants to provide any practical information that would help me I would appreciate it but ultimately I understand. Thepumpguy thank you for the information. I think that might work out for me. I am trying figure all this out as I want to get a guy up here to do a compression test on the engine and then maybe he can install the injectors and see if we have fixed the problem. The service call is going to cost quit a bit so I am trying to get as much done beforehand. I am going to try to contact you through the forum. I am on other forums so I might know how to do it. Thanks so much for all the help guys. Jim

  10. #10pdhntr2024-10-19 20:39

    Sent you a message. Thanks. Jim

  11. #11Vetech632024-10-20 07:40

    You're getting soft in your elder years lol