-- Looked at a used bobcat today. Got some pictures and some concerns with the machine, hoping someone can shed some light on some of it. What part is missing...Mechanic said he took off to fix another customers bobcat and they are to replace the part so that one can start and run it. Looks like partially oily liquid coming out of this area where part was removed is this normal or no? Pictures are the same just different views of same area. A guard for the final drive ? My concern is its bent right at where it bolts to the machine. Don’t think this got bent by someone taking it off and dropping it on the cement. So how could this have gotten bent and is it a red flag warning -should I be concerned with this being bent? Same area but below and to the rear of the guard thing The bolt at the bottom looks like it was installed at an angle, hard to tell from the picture though. track/sprocket, same side as where the guard is bent.
Loader arm space from the track. Right side - cant get a hands width between track and arm Left side - can get a hands width between track and arm
-- Right side (*)–(viewed from rear)loader arm lines up with pin (yellow) and notice small area of rust (red)where arm rests Left side (**)- (viewed from rear)loader arm hangs out past pin(yellow) and notice area of rust (red) where arm rests. Bigger area of rust compared to right side
-- These pictures relate to the other group of pictures shown above . (*)looking down between cab and loader arm – left of cab if viewed from side of machine. (**)looking down between cab and loader arm – Right of cab if viewed from side of machine -- (*)another view looking down between cab and loader arm. (**)another view looking down between cab and loader arm. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.
First pic is the fuel shutdown solenoid missing, and yes, there's motor oil slinging around behind that solenoid when it's mounted. Guard bent could have been from a rock lodged between the track and the guard, who knows. The loader arms slightly tweaked, actually not unusual depending on the cowboy that's been operating the machine. Something to be concerned about for sure, but not necessarily a deal breaker, rather an indication that one needs to do a thorough inspection of the loader arms and components looking for any structural damage or paint cracks that would indicate bent steel. If I couldn't find any noticeable damage to the loader arms and they look confident I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have a tree guy customer that has broke the loader arms on his T190 at the main rear pivot pin on both sides, did some extensive damage to the loader arms both times. After me doing a good/proper mending job he's still using the machine, and that's been several years ago.
So if you were looking over the loader arms and such, what areas would be your main concern and what areas/locations would you be checking over for structural damage, bent steel, etc.? and would these areas be noticed more with the arms up or down? Thanks
Well, no area in particular, just a good look over for the obvious things, like, raise the loader arms above the cab and get an eyeball across the left and right arms, see if they're parallel or if they're tweaked. Look for side by side linear paint cracks which would indicate bent steel. Look for bent metal or cracked welds, just the obvious structural stuff. Just saying if everything looks good it's not something I'd fret over. For example, this is a pic of that T190 I mentioned, and no this is not just a camera angle thing, the loader arms were literally this tweaked (out of parallel). I brought them back inline, repaired the damage, and the fellow is still beating the dog snot out of this T190 from repairing several years ago.
i'd say the loader arms are definitely tweaked... :drinkup
are you referring to the pic willie59 posted or the ones i posted. I need to determine if this thing is worth taking another look at, as its not near me or if I should just let it go? Would something like this keep the majority of you from purchasing it.
One thing to look at when the arms are bent is whether or not the bucket sits on the ground flat. This would affect your digging, loading and any attachments that you look to run. I purchased a 2000 Bobcat 864 (2000 hours). When they delivered it the trailer was narrower than the bucket. It sat crooked on the trailer. Upon further review and use, I found out the arm was tweaked, the bucket and Harley rake I was using didn't sit level on the ground. Not good. I called the dealer that I purchased the unit from. It was used, but they agreed to swap the arm with another used one. They somewhat admitted to noticng the issue. The mechanics stated that the damage was most likely caused by turning into a solid object at high speed. No problems after the swap. Check the bucket on the ground or preferably concrete. Unless it's a steal of a deal, I would keep looking. Hate when people snag parts from a unit and don't fix asap. It's one thing to borrow a part it's another to leave it off until you want to sell it. Why is the track motor sprocket repainted? Hiding other issues ? When I sell used equipment, I try to fix issues, wash the machine and make the piece stand tall. Just my thoughts.