Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Used Cat track question

Jobacca · 2021-06-23 06:12

Hello, new around here, I’ve been poking around for a used machine for a little while now and came across a used Cat over my way. I haven’t spent to much time working on excavators and came across something I wasn't sure of. Anyways long story short I was wondering if anyone would know whats going on here. The tracks are buckled (see picture) on both sides where the tracks adjoin, is this a case of the machines just been sitting to long and it will re-work its way straight? Or are the tracks in need of repair? Any advice/info is appreciated. -Joe

Replies10
  1. #1Jonas3022021-06-23 07:14

    Yep sitting to long They may come out they may not running though water is the best way to try to get them loosened it took a few months of use to get ours all loosened up again

  2. #2Vetech632021-06-23 07:53

    Same thing, its sat too long and some of the pins will rust up. In the past I'd diesel them down and work them although now days the EPA hates that . They usually will break free and not be a problem.

  3. #3Jobacca2021-06-23 08:16

    Thank you guys for the responses.I had kind of figured that's what it was but had to try and ask someone who'd actually know to make sure. I belong to a few other forums, glad to have found this one. Thanks again.

  4. #4Bluox2021-06-23 10:58

    Looks like the master pin has been welded in the link ,about the only cure would be to replace the link and pin. Bob

  5. #5John C.2021-06-23 15:23

    Something looks real odd about that pin. You can see open hole around it and it does look to have been welded in the past and broken loose. The thing is that Cat generally uses a T headed master pin and they are a loose fit. I can't think of anyway that link could bridge that way that one is. I would be curious as to what the other side of that link looks like. I'm thinking the problem is more than just a stuck link joint.

  6. #6Jobacca2021-06-23 19:48

    I didn’t take as many pictures as I should’ve, the reverse was held in by cotter pin.

  7. #7Nige2021-06-23 20:15

    I think what John C is referring to is the apparent "daylight" in the bore of the link that shouldn't be there. See below. The end of the pin also looks an awful weird shape.

  8. #8CM19952021-06-23 20:18

    That's what it looks like to me to John. We had the same issue on our 321DLCR on one side. Replaced the master link pin and welded the T head master pin in the link several times before breaking down and having two new links pressed in with a new master pin.

  9. #9Jobacca2021-06-23 21:21

    If you don't mind me asking, what'd that set you back roughly?

  10. #10CM19952021-06-24 18:38

    If I remember correctly we took the track to the Cat dealer's track shop and had the two new links making up the master link pressed in and a new pin and I think it was around $1200 but it's been several years ago . We R&R'd the track on the machine and took it to them.