I'm an owner operator with a 2009 kx080-3 wich was bought new. Machine currently has 9200hrs. It's been basically trouble free except for the odd thing here and there. Maintenance has been rigorous. Engine oil and final drives every 250 hr. Hydraulic oil and filter 500hrs. I can say with complete certainty that it's been the best machine I could ever ask for. I'm now at a crossroad. With it approaching 10000hrs, I'm thinking of buying a new 80-4. I just don't know anything about DPF. I run my machine at half throttle most times. At this rpm it sips fuel and my Hydraulic pump will last considerably longer. Can a new machine be ran this way without having regen issues? And can the -4 do 10k hrs with major issues? Any information would be greatly appreciated as I'm a little nervous of getting rid of my -3.
A new one gonna make more money? Reduce cost somehow?
I don't know why you would replace a well taken care of machine in the first place. You would have less headaches by keeping your machine as long as parts are available for it.
I think you both make really good points. I guess what I'm really relying to get at is getting rid of it before I get big ticket item repairs and lots of little repairs that accumulate to lots of downtime. I'm not sure if my machine is past the point of no return in its 9200 hrs. Not sure if I'm on borrowed time?
Think of it this way. You can depreciate anew purchase over time based on your depreciation schedule. You can deduct repair costs against gross income. It’s a no brainer to me. Even if you trashed an engine or pump you would still be way ahead compared to the cost of a new machine with interest on top of that……then you still have operating costs on either. If your concerned with a major breakdown, then start setting money aside now so when it does happen you are better prepared.
I run my machine at half throttle most times. At this rpm it sips fuel and my Hydraulic pump will last considerably longer. Can a new machine be ran this way without having regen issues? And can the -4 do 10k hrs with major issues? DPF machines like to have a load on them and heat from that load help the system work. It has been my experience that they do not like light load or idling at all.
9200 is quite a few hours. What are your main complaints?
Good point. I never really thought about that.
This is my major concern. I don't see the point in running a machine full throttle just to keep the heat in the engine.
That it might be time for a trade before major breakdowns start to happen or constant little issues that add up. And can new dpf engines be ran at lower rpm and not gum up the filter. I don't idle my machine.
I just found a real nice 2020 308CR Next Gen. It's got 300hrs. I called Diesel Spec. I was told they will have a delete kit for the 3.3 in August this year. I think this will suit me better. I'm going to wait till they have this available and keep ypu guys posted.
Good Luck! Its your money my friend.
You didn't answer my question I wanted to know what was wrong with the machine? General looseness or just the stick or the boom or the bucket or the swing? Because if you can't point to something that's annoying or irritating you besides a number of hours then in my opinion, you're wasting money.
There's nothing wrong with my KX. All pins and bushings have been replaced on the bucket. Everything else is relatively tight. My main concern is high hours. But from what I gather, you and other don't seem to think it's a big deal. I've had this machine for 12 years, from what I gather now I'm better off keeping it that buying a tier 4 final machine.
Many of us have seen well maintained equipment go over 20K hours.
we have never heard of anyone enjoying working on the tier 4 machines.
What's major components cost compared to a new one if your worried about it start going thru big items so you schedule your down time on 18 months you could have a fully rebuilt machine at probably half the cost of new and as said you write off the maintenance If your after warranty on these new machines you have to have it cause they seem to come with a few bugs to be worked out I like my old stuff better and I have machines with 15000 plus hours on them and i plan to push them a lot further With tier 4 the fuel economy you have had will be a memory and you wont make 9000 hours without a exhaust system repair If you want a new machine for having a new machine then nothing is going to change that for you except a new machine
Even with smaller 8 tons?
Good point.
If its running good today chances are it will tomorrow and you already fix any loose problems. Personally think if you are worried about the hours get rid of the meter. It really doesnt know its older. If the fluids are clean at this point prolly run another 10 with a couple engine oil changes. 12 years is rather recent in the grand scheme but as machines age the oil and grease gets better. The new oil in old engines wasnt even a wet dream when some of them were made. We are running 1000 hrs on oil in engines used to call for 100/150 hr service. They just seem to stop wearing out.
If its working the only thing the new one will do it cost more money. This is a machine lot simpler, one you are familiar with, one you service, one had any problems worked out, to me the big chance would be starting over. Got to put a "kit" on a new machine to start with, thats just the start.
Maybe I'm just old school with machine hours. But you're bringing up good points here.
After giving all your comments some thought. I'll be keeping the KX running and skip the new machine. You all made some good points and logical reasoning. Thanks for the information and experience. I'm just gonna have to get over the higher hour feeling. I'll just giver a paint job at some point, and she'll look new again.
Good choice holding on to what you have don't worry about the hours till they start to look like this clock lol
New hour meter is pretty cheap too!!
If you are going to trade them there is not so much incentive to fuss over the maintenance. I appraised a car the other day, 5500 in excellent shape, 5K poor so if they take great care for 10 years they get 500 more for it. Reason to take such care is cause you wanna keep the thing. The spread may be a little bigger on private sale but salesman for dealers dont usually care, they get paid for closing deals.