Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Used Excavator Purchase: Deere, Case, Cat etc…??

Const&demoPA ยท 2012-07-21 22:51

Ok, I'm in the market for a 16 ton machine...I have checked some old threads and "best" machine posts get beat to death..not looking to start a debate here just some fresh info and personal experiences.. The machine will not be used 40 hrs a week/52 a year but should be reliable. I am a fan of spending a little more up front and eliminating down time on the job down the road. I'm a Deere man to date with 2007 CT332 and 2009 JD50. If my bank account was stacked and I did this for fun the new 160G LC is looking pretty slick! But since that's not the case I have been pricing machines 2000 and newer. Don't quote me but from what I recall a Case 160B with 4,000 hrs is running $75,000-$85,000 while a Deere and Cat with the same specs is $100,000 +.. Is Case built that much cheaper? Will they require major overhauls much sooner than the other brands? Or is this price difference mainly the name and a few bells and whistles? There are dealers for all major brands within 30 miles of my location. Deere and Case being the predominant machine in the area... Then you get into Hitachi, Komatsu, Kobelco so where do you go?? I take pride in my companies appearance and how my equipment looks but bottom line is it has to make money and get the job done!

Replies13
  1. #1willie592012-07-21 23:36

    Not likely you'll get a definitive answer as to which machine is "the best", as everyone has their preference. Additionally, I'm not an operator, I'm a mechanic, and I can tell you from that perspective that the difference in the brands are not that different, they all have their strong points, likewise, they have their week points, but nothing notable that would condemn any in my opinion. One thing I can say is Case machines are not "built that much cheaper", they are solid, quality machines, market prices most likely reflect the popularity of Deere, Cat, and Komatsu machines. In my opinion, brand matters less than local dealer support. Any machine, brand new or with 10K hrs, is going to need parts and service. I would choose a brand machine that, in your opinion, has the best parts/service support for the machine in your area. In my experience, as far as parts go, Cat, Deere, and Case all have good parts support. Kommie does as well, but their parts prices are notably higher than other brands.

  2. #2norite2012-07-23 05:36

    I believe that a Case excavator is made by Sumitomo, as is a LinkBelt. I have no personal experience with these machines, but I would consider buying one from my research.

  3. #3RobertR2012-07-30 07:42

    Every brand is good, its just a personal preference that decides what you pick. Professionals use different brands, and those three you mentioned are top quality. You won't regret picking any of them. Just read about them and pick the one that has all the features you need, and you'll be good to go - there is no need to overthink this stuff. Oh, and btw. You can check and compare prices of used excavators on Mascus, for example. Linked it for you. Regards, Robert.

  4. #4CM19952012-07-30 20:14

    I have been "sorta" looking for an excavator of that size as well. I like the Cat 315's from past ownership so that is the machine I am looking for. The 2 that I previously owned gave me great service and the local dealer is top notch - that's my story, you local milage may vary.. Here is a search result on Machinery Trader for 2000-2012 315's with 2K to 4K hours - http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...&bcatid=4&Pref=0&pc=35238&scf=false&HDROR=asc The prices for these machines are not as high as you have been searching.

  5. #5BisonTech2012-07-30 22:41

    I am by no means as experienced as Willie59, but after fixin' a few machines myself, I absolutely agree with him. Having the support right down the road is fantastic. Even if it's a dealer that services a few different brands such as "Skyworks" who is a local (for me) dealer for smaller equipment such as JCB, Lull, Skyjack, etc.. It's fantastic to have them around the corner for anything such as parts and info, and when you get to know the guys working there it becomes more than "just business" relationship. They'll go out of their way for you because "MR Smith" is a good customer.. All these machines are built to last in a construction environment. Parts may vary in price, but everyone has their opinion about certain machines. I happen to love Komatsu, mostly because it's the first brand of equipment I learned to operate.. My New Holland isn't much different, but right now I hate it because I need to fix it..

  6. #6Funkyfullwidth2012-07-31 09:22

    I'm also a mechanic. we have a few different machines here, a 98 case 9040, a cat 322l, volvo 88, volvo 170, cat 316, cat 305. From what i've found, the case was the hardest to source parts for, and price wise could be worse. On our case we had a broken front idler and yoke. took 2 1/2 months to have it at our door. first, they sent the wrong one, then the other was on backorder. Bad couple of days... The cats are just that, cats. Easy to get parts for, not terrible to work on or diagnose. The volvos can be a pain in the ass and sometimes expensive, but nice comfortable machines, easy to operate. Long or short, the case is UGLY, but a freakin bull. The cats live up to their names.. I don't have experience with much else.

  7. #7ILLICEMAN2012-07-31 11:11

    I don,t put many hrs on a machine per yr.I have had great luck with cat.Overnight parts 100% of the time.The price was not out of line.I now have a 2003 Deere.I wanted air and when looking found bargin in my Deere.So far love it.Right now prices have rally gone higher.In fall it seems to me they do fall some.If your not in real need take a little time and something will poop up.I do have a buddy that has good luck with Case.

  8. #8illinoisboy2012-08-02 22:27

    I have a 150 Hitachi and love it. We do residential demo, and farm drainage, clearing work, ponds and whatever else. I like that it is a light enough machine to move easily, it has good power, is excellent on fuel, and it isnt too far behind the much bigger machines on reach and dig depth. It is really well balanced and comfortable to operate. Mine has 8400 hours on it now, and no major repairs. runs like a top. just my thoughts.....

  9. #9leoncgrant2012-08-03 16:00

    Saw your need for a 16 ton excavator. Have a 1088 Case in Waxhaw, NC. Machine weighs 45+K, 22.5 tons, only been used cleaning ponds to my knowledge. Excellent shape, 4500hrs+. Starts and runs well. $25,000 cash FOB Waxhaw, NC. reply [email protected] Leon C. Grant

  10. #10Const&demoPA2012-09-10 21:46

    Thanks for the input guys! I'm taking my time waiting for the work load to justify the purchase... Ultimately it will come down to what's around when I'm ready..

  11. #11Puppy2012-09-10 22:12

    I prefer Deere or hitachi, which are the same. Seems that the swing motor is stronger and hydraulics are more precise than cat. Whichever way you go stay away from tractors with wet kits. Attachments that require wet kits generally are hard on the tractor.

  12. #12tomfromhull2012-09-20 06:33

    Parts is an issue. If you have a particular dealer near you you might want to lean towards that manufacturer. Stay away from Case

  13. #13leoncgrant2012-09-20 08:04

    I believe Case is a fine machine!!! They probably have a lot of Poclaine parts, such as pumps ect, which were extremely durable!! Ownd 2 older Poclane machines and never replaced a pump, drive or swing in the 20 yrs I worked them!! On the contrary Cats have had a lot of pump replacement on the ones I've owned. True, parts might be a problem but in the world of the internet the're only a click away!! The machine I have for sale is only a downsize move, it runs and digs well!!!