Recently I bought ten acres of undeveloped land on which I plan to build a house and shop. For my initial work I plan to rent a piece of equipment or two to do my clearing and grading. After I get settled in I plan to clean up the rest of the property. Is it possible to find a Cat 955 or similar sized track loader in decent shape for under $10000? How about a old cat D8 or D7? I may be able to purchase a old Cat D8G 15A in the fall reasonable from someone I know. Granted the D8 would be overkill but I know the history and issues with the machine.
I'm no expert at all. But I am looking for an older track loader or dozer. And have spent a fair amount of time around "seasoned" machinery.... Ritchie bros past auction prices seem to be a decent starting point. In the Houston auction last week a D8H went for 20k with a really nice undercarriage and single shank ripper. A 955 went for 13k, it had a decent undercarriage. I'm really upset right now. I missed a government surplus D8 cable dozer from Iron planet in Fort Hood last month. From the looks of the undercarriage, it hadn't even been used since it was made in '52. Sold for 3,750, would have been the perfect machine for me...... Didn't even know it has been listed until a few days ago. I'd really like a direct drive cable dozer, but they are kinda rare-ish down here.
There is no cheap track loader...I just bought a low hour Deere 450B with hoe and 4 in 1 bucket for $10k. Undercarriage, steering clutches, some hydraulic hoses and a starter was another $20k from the local Deere shop. Then, when it came off the truck, it went 100 yards and stopped dead with a bad injector pump. If someone is selling a piece of equipment at scrap value, there is probably a good reason. Howard
Should I stay away from Allis Chalmers track loaders? I think parts are hard to come by?
If you have some minor mechanical knowledge and take time to read the operators manual, (easily found) to learn how to start and stop them correctly and maintain the old 3T D7s and 2U D8s are all over the place in usuable condition in the 3 to 8 thousand dollar range. They get a bit spendy to move thou. My last two 955s were $2,000 for a powershift K series about 5 years ago and I just picked up an original 955 straight stick with pony motor for $1,500.00. I grabbed it for a friend collector. This one works perfect and has always been stored inside. Just need to keep the eyes open. You may occasionally find them on the ACMOC site under the 4 sale section also.
Part of my day job involves industrial maintenance. Quite handy and could fully rebuild a classic pickup if I wanted. Just that my first piece of heavy equipment I don't want to be a major project if I can help it. With my plans either a track loader or dozer will be a good fit. Maybe even a wheel loader, but I don't think one will plow over southern yellow pines quite like a track machine. Though I do believe maintenance on four tires would be cheaper then track parts.
If you want to find allis parts, go over to the unofficial allis chalmers forum, those guys can find 'em for you...
Tracks are cheaper when doing clearing and such. A couple blown tires and you will understand. Take your time and find a machine that fits your beeds
I have a 68 Dodge Utiline pickup I have rebuilt and drive around town...but it is a different skill set than rebuilding a diesel tracked vehicle. Best of luck. Howard