Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Uses for old rails

RustedHeroes ยท 2018-08-15 16:07

Hey guys, Just pondering using these old rails for a road drag... Thoughts? If it is a practical use for them how do you set them up? Scrap dealers around here pay next to nothing. If anyone has pics of a good setup it would be greatly appreciated. Rails are from a 977L (D7G)

Replies6
  1. #1John C.2018-08-15 17:23

    I've seen them hung off of a high wall and used to knock loose rock free. Other than that I've always gotten decent money when they were cut in four foot lengths.

  2. #2DIYDAVE2018-08-15 20:22

    Weld them in a straight line, with an right angle, and they make a nifty mailbox post, that will make a front end dangle...

  3. #3Welder Dave2018-08-15 23:26

    They do make a good drag.

  4. #4catman132018-08-16 00:45

    there is an old rail welded into a S on an old farm near me , I think it was the old farmers initial . the rail is worn down to about an 1/2 in total thickness

  5. #5Coal Boss2018-08-17 07:46

    I've seen them used as beams in old home constructions around here. Pretty interesting to see in an old foundation.

  6. #6Jeckyl19202018-08-18 21:49

    I feel this makes a good weight for a drag, like wire it to a chain link drag for some more drag force. I'm curious about the setup to make them into a drag. [Insert Popcorn emoji]