Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Using a 72″ brushcutter on a 74″ wide machine?

Doug580l · 2021-03-10 17:47

Has anyone used a brushcutter that's not as wide as their machine, and did it create any problems? I am purchasing a machine that is 74.3" wide and the dealer has a Blue Diamond brushcutter that is only 72" wide. I really like the looks and features of it. 72" is the widest one they make. I am considering ordering a 78" wide Bradco, or another brand if recommended online if using a 72" wide one will create problems. It would be used for clearing brush on trails and in general and also bush hogging fields and the back of a dam. I worry that in the fields the tracks might push down the plants on the sides and they won't get cut. Some of the areas that will be cleared are pretty thick with brush. Thanks, Doug

Replies9
  1. #1kennyj2021-03-11 07:16

    My Bobcat is 81" wide and my 72" brush cutter is actually 77" wide. The only time I notice the difference is in very dense brush. Someday I'll upgrade to a wider cutter, but for the most part I don't have issues with the difference in width.

  2. #2KSSS2021-03-11 09:45

    Pushing down the material without cutting it, seems like a legit concern to me. There are a lot of good mowers out there, I think I would go with one that more than covers the width of the machine.

  3. #3ThreeCW2021-03-11 10:16

    What make and model of skid steer are you purchasing? What is the actual width and the effective cutting width of the 72” brush cutter? You may be able to change your rim offset to narrow down the maximum outside tire measurement of your skid steer. On my CAT 242B, I was able to change my maximum outside tire measurement from 60” to 66” by using different offset rims. I did this to accommodate tire chains.

  4. #4Doug580l2021-03-11 18:12

    Thanks for the replies. The machine is a Case TR310B. Just got delivered today. I didn't think about the frame being wider than the cutting width. I'll call and find out what the frame width is. I saw one brands 72" cutter's frame was about 78" wide. I wonder if the frame would knock down the grass as much or more than the tracks would? As usual I am probably making things more complicated than it needs to be. I am concerned about a brushcutter being too wide since it will be used to maintain several miles of trails that can be narrow between the trees.

  5. #5Mark132021-03-11 19:11

    I have a brush cutter that is a 60" cutting width, about 66" wide overall on a machine that is 63" wide to the outside of the tracks and it's not a problem, I don't notice the tracks running over uncut material.

  6. #6Canadian_digger2021-03-12 19:02

    I have 72” brush cutter on a 78” wide track machine. Works fine.

  7. #7Doug580l2021-03-13 11:09

    Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the 72" brushcutter

  8. #8KSSS2021-03-13 11:41

    Post your thoughts on the TR310B when you get some time on it.

  9. #9Doug580l2021-03-15 10:06

    Will do. I did look at a TR310 last year and was close to making a decision when the pandemic started and ended up not buying it. So glad I waited. The upgrades to the cab really make a difference. I love the backup camera and how much easier it is to use than the old one. The only thing I have to compare this too is an old 1840. I was using it yesterday to move some fallen trees around and was pretty impressed with it. There are a couple of trees that I pushed as far as I could last year with a 4wd 580sl backhoe and was able to push them quite a bit further. I was on a gravel area so I got great traction there. In some dirt/wet areas it pushed pretty well but the tracks were spinning fairly often. I will post an update after I get some more hours on it.