I used my dozer too push snow after the last snowstorm. It does have the grousers w/center holes too prevent excess stress from snow buildup in the track. At first I noticed the top rollers weren't turning continuously, but would only partially turn with each passing link. Tonight I pulled the dozer out to push banks back, and noticed the top rollers were not turning at all. They were frozen with ice and snow. I tried to check the bottom rollers to see if they're still free and turning, but couldn't get a clear view. I'm hoping the fact there's much more weight on the bottom rollers would cause them to continue turning, but am not sure.:beatsme I don't want to wear flat spots in the rollers. Should I be checking the bottom rollers before every use during the winter, or can I assume they're still turning due to the higher weight put on them? It's kind of a pain trying to check the bottom rollers. Thanks!!
I've never seen a problem with bottom rollers not turning because of snow and ice. The weight of the machine breaks them loose. I have seen the top rollers not turn when its really cold. I wouldn't worry about it if I was you. If your bottom rollers are good shape you should be ok. King of Obsolete's thread about the hood said most winter freighting cats had wood bunks instead of top rollers for this reason. If anyone should know it would be him. :yup
Paint a off center spot on the side of each roller and check it's position for movement. if they should happen to be greeseable greese at the end of each shift to force out any water. Flat spotting rollers is not fun.
Always dig out the dirt or snow that accumulates on the upper track frames and around the rollers after you park the machine. Especially in winter time. Frozen dirt is like concrete and will stop those rollers from turning.
Thanks for the tips guys.:thumbsup I decided today that instead of taking a chance I'd go through the bother, and jacked up each side, pry the track down with a bar, and reach in with my hand too make sure they were all free and turning with no flat spots. They were all good. I also stopped at John Deere and bought their light grease (#0 weight) for the rollers just to make sure I had the right stuff to put in them. I also made sure the top rollers were free and used the lighter grease on them, although they still would only turn intermittantly with all the snow. Good idea about the paint Dwan, although the bottom rollers are very hard too see on this dozer. They might be easier when everything is cleaned up, and I may be able to use that method. The only roller I can easily see right now is the rearmost. The rest are a real pain.
Just to show why it's so hard to actually see the rollers on this JD, I found this pic I'd taken before. You can't hardly see nuthin'!! I even tried using a mirror, but that didn't work either. Most dozers aren't this hard, are they?!
don't worry about the bottom rollers, they will always turn. it is top roller that will stop and then you will have flat spots on them. when you stop the machine for a pee or to get the $$$$ for cleaning snow. always clean around the top roller, if you keep it clean you should not have a problem. or for the snow season, replace top rollers with wood. wood is cheap compared to 4 flat rollers, LOL thansk
Thanks King!!:thumbsup I won't be using it often for pushing snow, and only around my place, so I think I'll try and continue with the rollers on top, instead of wood. If I was using it to the extent you do in the snow I'd use the wood in a heartbeat. It seems like a good idea. I "think" part of my problem is that heavier grease was in the rollers. I should've used the light grease from the start. They turn smoothly, but are slow, as if the grease is too thick. I'll continue with the light grease, but didn't want to blow the seals out by forcing in too much of it right now. Hopefully they'll loosen up as the old grease is pushed out.:yup
see it is hard for you southern folk to use the right grease, you guys go from really hot to cold where as we go from almost warm to cold, LOL you can start using a lighter grease thru the end of fall and then use winter grease. a wooden top roller will work when snow is almost gone. it is a thought. thansk
Us somewhat more "southern" folk don't have that problem If you want a good top roller from timber find yourself some lignum vitae...it will last for ages cause its hard and full of oil. In days of yore its most common use was for stern gland bearings in ships.