Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Using ProVal to evaluate Highway Models

MCguy ยท 2012-02-14 11:31

I've just came accross this ProVal software that allows me to take my finish pavement surface that will be used for our excavation/embankment, placing our stone and place our concrete pavement in our hopefully a new stringless slipform plaving system (which we are in the process of buying) The guys a Gomaco suggested that we use ProVal to evaluate our final pavement surface model for IRI values. Right now the software that I generate to model in (Carlson Takeoff R4) can make a .pro file that gives me tha data I thought would work, but it wont import directly to ProVal. What I have to do is to make a profile report that generates a .txt file at whatever stations i wish (in this case I've been using 5' stations for 74,000 feet) Once I import that file into ProVal I can generate a predicted IRI reading that allows me to see where my smooth sections and rough sections are. The problem I am having is that the date used for the surface model is directly from the Plan/Profile of what the state has designed, and the best overall IRI value I get is 38.71, and the State of Ohio bases there testing on every .10 of a mile so I break it down to 528' and I get some IRI values as high as 62! I would seem to me that the value should be 0! I've gone through the entire 8 miles of data and cant seemed to find and errors where it would cause the IRI value vary anything other than 0... Im a little confused if the ProVal is really that accurate in reading what data that I am putting in. The biggest reason behind the why I want the predicted IRI value lower is so that once we get to actually paving we in theory should be paving it perfect (which is impossibile, I know) but it eliminates the data errors from the start and leaves it to human/machine errors(which at times are unavoidable). Ohio gives a bonus/deduction based on IRI values and I would like get see the whole project in the bonus sector which is 60 and less with the max bonus set at 40 and less. Any suggestions?

Replies0

No replies yet.