I'm on a job building a road in a new housing development. We rough graded the sight seven years ago, put in water and sewer, storm drains, and roughed in and rocked the road. Now there are several new houses built and they are putting in curb and gutter and paving the street. They are building the road at elevations to try to match the new existing concrete drives, so I have to do a little cut and fill here and there. All utilities are located. The problem I have is a fiber optic cable television wire is about 1 inch below my subgrade. I had them come out and look at it and asked if they would lower it. They asked how much. I said I don't know, it's your cable, I'm running a 40,000 lb machine within an inch of it, how much can it stand? They said you're not going any deeper? Than it will be fine. I am fairly confident of my operating ability, but still, stuff happens. I told them I assume absolutely no liabilty if the line is damaged, as I will not be the only operator on site as the job progresses. They said they will relocate it after I'm finished. What do you guys think. I'm not going to worry about it, I'm done in that area. I've always thought most utilities are buttheads, this just proves it. Oh yeah, it's Mediacom Cable.
I say get it in writing. Anything that they say is not woth a lick of salt if it is not in writing. When the rep says that, whip out a memo pad, write it down, and get it signed. If they won't sign it, that is the big red warning flag waving. If it is signed, then you are reasonably well covered
:iagree That is the best advice to cover your rear end - Because if you hit a line, the guy that told you that will have either quit or transfered to another region and if you are lucky enough to find him again he will have a massive case of amnesia.
I keep some of my company letterhead paper in my truck. I make a record of the conversation, the time date and personages present. I get the guys card and fax that record off to their office immediatley....sometimes (if I don't have wireless available) I even get my wife to drive out and pick up the record so it can be faxed off the same day. I also take photos. I hit an LV cable last year just before christmas (415 volt). This seemed to amuse some members of this forum anyway, both myself and the client (god bless him) made records of the conversation we had with each other and the power company. Just back in April the power mob sent me out a bill for $22K. The Dial-before-U-Dig and the various records saved my posterior. Having, in the last six months, purchased a new excavator, a dump truck, built a trailer and bought about $20K worth of tools that bill would have sent me to the wall. No doubt about it....broke, belly up, busted, homeless...that would have been me. Take the 5 or 10 minutes and make a record of these things....it could save your business. Ok thats it for serious Squizzy today
Like everyone else said get it in writing.