Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pa Joint Operating Engineer Program??

cat300 ยท 2007-05-22 15:06

I'm looking to get into operating heavy equipment for a living, it is something i have always wanted to do. I have always been that little kid who always played with his tonka truck in dirt and sandbox, well all i can say is i guess i never really grew up. lol. But there was comercials on tv for the pa joint apreanaship program for OE, so i was like sweet ill try it out. I did the application and all that and i got a letter back saying i have to go to some kind of "training" they test your work attitude and hand eye cordination and all that. Is that a sign i got in or what? Or does everybody have to do that? I'm very interested in becoming an operator it has been a childhood dream of mine. Is being in th union work it? Or should i look at going to a trade school that offers a program?

Replies16
  1. #1surfer-joe2007-05-22 23:11

    Check it out. May be a pretty good break for you. It's not often the OE advertise for apprentices. They never did back when I was a young pup. Couldn't even bribe my way in with a case of whiskey in those days. Most union programs are four years and include classroom and field work, i.e., stick time. You get paid for actual work with an increase every year. The unions training equipment is likely to be newer than the trade schools. Do the initial testing and see how you do and go from there.

  2. #2cat3002007-05-23 06:53

    i only have to go to the testing facility 5 weeks out of the yr. Thats sweet but how am i supposed to get trained? Or will they train me for liek a week and send me to somebody and get trained on site? how does that work? They better pay good with gas prices going up

  3. #3Russ2007-05-23 11:33

    cat300 If you are accecpted into the program I believe you are looking at 6 to 8 weeks (or more) class room/hands on training at their training center (no pay but free room and board). Then when you are placed with a contractor you will be paid a percentage of journeymans scale for the type of work you are doing. I think first year a apprentice gets 60% 2nd year 70% etc. Good luck and if I was you, I would jump on this in a heart beat. Russ

  4. #4cat3002007-05-23 14:04

    I am thats why im asking about it i tryed calling escavating companys, but no ones hiring

  5. #5NateV2007-05-23 14:53

    I took that test in february and then about a month or so later got a letter saying i didnt get in and try again next year.

  6. #6Countryboy2007-05-23 19:02

    Welcome to HEF Russ! :drinkup

  7. #7cat3002007-05-24 08:59

    Nate So what u do now? How you get a job escavating? Where are u in pittsburgh, im about 20-30 minutes from pittsburgh. Have u herd of bridgeville? If i dont get accepted into the union what should i do? I tryed calling all the escavating businesses in the yellow pages and nobody is hiring? What would you all suggest to do? I'm graduating in like 2 weeks so i need 2 get on my feet. If the union stuff dont work out i might have to work at UPS loading trucks at night from 2am till 10am. and i really dont wana work at that time. i like to be normal

  8. #8Russ2007-05-24 10:46

    Coutryboy, Thanks for the welcome!!! It is good to be here. Russ

  9. #94 da pon2007-05-24 12:12

    cat try to get in as a labor thats how i started that way you can get a feel for the job and also see what and how equipment is sapose to work then after some time you will get seat time

  10. #10NateV2007-05-24 22:08

    cat check your pms

  11. #11cat3002007-05-24 22:44

    while scrolling threw the yellow pages, i ran out of companys to call so i decided to look and see if there is any rental palces. So i called one and a long story short i got the job. I will be washing machines, greesing them, organising the yard, taking inventory. Misc stuff. I like it because i may not be actually digging or anything like that. I'm getting use to the basic mantence of the machines, getting to drive them which is a big thing. that way i can say later on down the road i have experience with them. its only part time like 4hrs a day, but its a start right? the only downfall im getting payed 7hr. Is that bad or good or what? i think its good and bad, good because im getting experience but it aint that much what are you opinions? If anyone knows anyone hiring for a operator let me know id apreashiate it

  12. #12CascadeScaper2007-05-25 06:57

    $7.00 an hour? That's tough pay, especially at 4 hours a day. Get a job in a restaurant working nights and work on the iron during the day. Restaurant work sucks, but it's pretty good money for zero responsibility and basically no investment. I work part time in a restaurant as a busser and expeditor, I work about 25-30 hours a week making on average $15.00 per hour and I still feel like it's not enough to cover my bills. You're right though, gotta start somewhere, but you also gotta eat. I was lucky to have gotten my start while at a young age while living at home, I'm 20 now and have right around 4 years in equipment related work.

  13. #13cat3002007-05-25 07:06

    Thats what i do, ill work there then i ll go to the country club i work at. SO it aint that bad.

  14. #14Countryboy2007-05-27 19:25

    Welcome to HEF 4 da pon! :drinkup

  15. #15cat3002007-05-29 10:05

    i got a letter back saying i have to go to some kind of training by westmorland mall. For all of you that had to do it, whats it like? Is it hard what kind of questions do they ask u?

  16. #164 da pon2007-05-29 11:33

    thanks countyboy there is alot of good info here