Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

V buckets

Hitachi350Man ยท 2009-06-19 10:43

Hey guys I'm pretty new too heavy construction and have an odd question. What are excavator V buckets used for?

Replies16
  1. #1tootalltimmy2009-06-19 12:50

    The V-bucket is used for digging trenches where you need to slope the sides. In B.C. anything over 4 ft deep needs to have a minimum 3:4 slope. The v-bucket will do this as you dig. I am a rookie at this so don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong.

  2. #2tootalltimmy2009-06-19 13:26

    Here is a link to a pretty large size v-bucket in action. http://www.petersontractor.com/services/V_ditch_bucket.htm

  3. #3Quarry & Mine2009-06-19 14:06

    Hello Gentleman , We have been using ACS Industries in Arlington Washington ; they did not have a V style Bucket designed , but had what tuned out to be and excellent Severe Duty Bucket , that we used in accord with another Deere 210 , that we outfitted with a Hammer form Indeco , out of Italy . It turned out we had alot more control with the hammer , and superior digging preformnace with the ultra abrasive resitant metals of the ACS style single radius design . Our mining operations rarely have a single tool that does it all . I would recomended that synerize your attachments , and let them work for you . Best Regards, Quarry and Mine

  4. #4AtlasRob2009-06-20 16:36

    In the UK we use them as the quickest and neatest way to form a surface water run off ditch. They did some last week using a Komatsu 210 along the boundry of the field we are making into a compound. I'll get a couple of pics but it will be next weekend before I can post them.

  5. #5AtlasRob2009-06-27 17:16

    As promised, the result of a 20t with a V bucket.

  6. #6dozerdave2009-06-27 23:41

    I have done tasks like those ditches with a G1000 Gradall.

  7. #7jetta1252009-06-28 18:05

    Hi Guys , We mainly use v buckets for drainage in soft ground conditions, The Irish bog can be very soft, with the v bucket you can drag the drain behind you keeping the 2 tracks level ......

  8. #8SteveT2009-06-30 08:44

    Works well in marl to

  9. #9SteveT2009-06-30 08:46

    I'm thinking of buying a digger now want to find out your opinions a samsung 210 lc 1996 any opinions

  10. #10SteveT2009-06-30 08:50

    sorry need 3 replies before i can start a thread

  11. #11Hitachi350Man2009-07-02 19:56

    Is using a thumb on a v bucket practical or does it not work. Just asking because you don't see to many excavators with v buckets using or having a thumb.

  12. #12tootalltimmy2009-07-02 20:05

    i have a note from the equipment school that closing the thumb with a V-bucket could damage the thumb or the bucket?? Slso the V-bucket is very heavy and the thumb adds to the weight which could be a problem for stability.

  13. #13Hitachi350Man2009-07-02 21:59

    That's what I was thinking too. If you close a thumb with muiltiple tines onto a v bucket you could wedge the thumb tines against the bucket and get it stuck or bent.

  14. #14AtlasRob2009-07-04 11:11

    The important thing about using V buckets to create master pieces is to make sure that they will be acceptable to the guys and gals who will be doing your enviromental audit, else you will be back filling them. It seems a bit of over kill at first until you take in their comments. There is the very real possibility / likelyhood of a fuel or similar spillage within the compound area over the next 2+yrs that it will be in operation. As such the only safe and enviromentally sensible thing to do is install surface water drainage gullies and pipework to an interceptor. The bonus is, its MORE work for me who said enviromentalists were all bad. :cool2 As an added bonus here is a picture of exactly what a 6t swivel dumper is designed for.

  15. #15Ditchtrimmer2009-07-05 03:07

    V-buckets, or as we refer to them~> 'Wing buckets' where in for years we've added wings to our Gradall buckets to excavate/trim trapezoidal ditches & canals for concrete lining. The largest we've done so far is 8' deep, 8' bottom, hat was 32' across the top, ..Yeah, one massive bucket connected to a G-1000 Gradall. Here's some pics. of some I did with an XL5200, they were only 4' bottoms that ranged in depth from 4.5' to 5.5' with 1.5:1 slopes.http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/XL5200/100_0946_135.jpg/img] [IMG]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/XL5200/100_0943_132.jpg

  16. #16AtlasRob2009-07-05 16:13

    Welcome Ditchtrimmer, that is one hell of a V ditch looks more like a canal to me I know this isnt the BIG one you refer to but, I took the liberty of posting it here for you, I hope you dont mind.