Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best excavator to buy

Szyman · 2009-06-19 16:54

Our company is searching for medium track excavator, about 20 metric tons. And now the issue, what machine is the best ? We were thinking about CAT 320 D (or C), but maybe other companys make bether machines. What do you thing about JCB, DOOSAN, and others compared to CAT ?? please help (sorry for my vocabulary)

Replies46
  1. #1Tigerotor77W2009-06-19 17:13

    Welcome to HEF! Awesome to see our user base continue to grow. Are you buying new? How are the dealers in your area?

  2. #2MrKomatsu2009-06-19 17:18

    A Komatsu PC300lc-6lc.....good size unit..#32,000.00 machine. digging depth=24'3", digging reach=36'5"...dump height= 23'5"...6 cylinder....232hp..24volts..variable displacement X2..plus 1 gear pump....

  3. #3Szyman2009-06-19 17:29

    2006 or newer, best dealers are CAT and JCB but dealers are not the problem, we have good service for almoust all kind of heavy equipment. We have 2 CAT's 315c, and i think that CAT is a good machine, but i havent got a touch whith other. Generally we are looking for 20 - 25t machine (komatsu 300lc is to big), 2006y or newer for max 80 000 euro ( 110 000 dollars) thanks for help

  4. #4cps2009-06-19 19:32

    Hi Szyman, Welcome! Id say a Volvo EC210B or C, Or maybe a kobelco (Newholland) 210 Both very good machines smooth and fast! That my opinion, but others are very good also! CPS

  5. #5PSDF3502009-06-19 19:56

    Maybe my math is wrong but 32,000# is 16 ton. So how can it be to big if your looking for 20-25 ton?

  6. #6Tigerotor77W2009-06-19 20:31

    Math is fine but the PC300 is not a 32,000 pound machine... it's a 30-tonne machine (~60,000 pounds, give or take a couple thousand depending on the specific configuration).

  7. #7swampdog2009-06-19 21:47

    My short list of excavators would include Deere, Hitachi, and Cat.

  8. #8Reuben2009-06-19 23:42

    thirty metric tons.one metric ton is ~2700 lbs

  9. #9Panhandler Bob2009-06-20 00:15

    Accordin to komatsu's web site a pc300lc-8 with 28" pads weights in at 77,142 lbs. :drinkup

  10. #10tootalltimmy2009-06-20 01:41

    A metric tonne is 1000 kilograms or 2200 lbs. If you want to be exact a kilo is 2.204623 lbs.

  11. #11joispoi2009-06-20 04:52

    PC210 would be the size Komatsu that fits the bill. Volvo and Liebherr are worth looking at, too.

  12. #12Szyman2009-06-20 11:12

    and how about Komatsu, Volvo and Libherr compared to CAT ? which one is the best and why ?

  13. #13Tigerotor77W2009-06-20 11:37

    A tonne is a metric ton. I meant to type 66,000 pounds +/-, but it slipped somehow... Szyman: the issue is this. I've seen numbers suggesting that Cat's small excavators (up to the 320D) are about as good on fuel as anything on the market -- on a volume/fuel/time basis. That is, if you need to move a specific volume of material in a certain time, the Cat does it the cheapest. (Your Cat dealer should be able to help you with this.) If all you do, on the other hand, is at 75% rated speed and don't care about getting maximum production out of your fuel, the Volvo -- and possibly Liebherr -- will be better. People suggesting Deere -- given that Deere's presence in Europe and the CIS is pretty small, you might as well just start suggesting Hitachi... I don't know if the Komatsu has much of an advantage anymore... I think Cat's caught up pretty well with them now.

  14. #14AtlasRob2009-06-20 14:20

    Everybody will have thier favourite and many will be able to quote fuel / tonnage / production etc etc, all of which amounts to very little if the person holding the levers cant make it sing I think most will agree that there is very little difference between the main players is this field now. But who are you main players locally? Cat, Doosan, Hitachi, Komatsu, Leibherr, New Holland, Volvo. :beatsme You say you have good support for many makes. How do parts and service backup compare. Its ok a dealer being near but no good if his two mobile fitters cover several thousand square miles of territory. :drinkup

  15. #15gggraham2009-06-20 16:21

    I'm with Atlas... Look at the area you will be working in and find out what dealers are around. Parts and service support speak volumes. No sense having a machine that you have to truck 300 miles to the nearest dealer. Try the machines out and find the one that you like the most then look at the dealers close to you. Ask other people in the area about the service and parts.

  16. #16Reuben2009-06-20 22:05

    huh......ya your right....not sure were i came up with 2700 lbs. I actually knew that but for some stupid reason I typed 2700.

  17. #17tootalltimmy2009-06-20 23:43

    I figured that it was a typo on your part. I wasn't trying to give a hard time about it. I chose to buy a Case because the dealer is 10 miles from me. John Deere is 70 miles away. Cat and Hitachi are 150 miles. People have their personal preferences but good parts and service will make you happy long after the best price fades away.

  18. #18joispoi2009-06-21 03:26

    You can ask this question to 4 different people and get 4 different answers. Buying one of these brands over the others isn´t going to be a decision that will make or break your company. I would look into what it´s going to cost to not only purchase the machine, but what it´s going to cost to service and maintain the machine. How much is the machine going to cost you after 5 years?...this is a good question to ask each salesman.

  19. #19Szyman2009-06-21 16:17

    bullyboy -> Location: east-north region of Poland, Europe, near city Bialystok Kind of work: mostly roads and water pipes,

  20. #20toreed472009-06-22 09:11

    komatsu pc200lc-3 I am new to this forum have question on komatsu pc200lc-3 can someone tell me what year it might be s/n 21277? I am sorry for asking on someone else thread but only I could find to ask. Thanks for any help Thomas

  21. #21MrKomatsu2009-06-22 09:16

    that serail # is recored as a 1984 model unit...ok toreed47....

  22. #22toreed472009-06-22 09:25

    MrKomatsu does that hoe have the S6D105 engine and are the pc200-3 hoes good units hrs. 6500. Thanks for the info. toreed47

  23. #23MrKomatsu2009-06-22 09:33

    yes it does......the ole non emissionized work horse....good machine...6500hrs? thats not bad if it is real...not replaced at any time?.....

  24. #24toreed472009-06-22 13:55

    Thanks MrKomatsu I am sure I will have more questions later my son has just traded for it. I think it will make a good farm hoe. toreed47

  25. #25MrKomatsu2009-06-22 14:23

    No problem that's what we are here for.......

  26. #26Alfapillar2009-06-22 16:40

    Also keep in mind the cost per hour of the machines :drinkup

  27. #27excavator5912009-06-23 07:53

    Cat 325 are pretty good no problem with engine another excavators it 's the Volvo EC 240 pretty good machine my brother in law have one from 2001 8000 hrs any things to say

  28. #28PC200LC-82009-07-04 14:29

    The dealerships that provide the best customer service should help you with your selection more than other criteria. What good is a Komatsu PC220 if you can't get parts and service if you need them? That being said, the Komatsu PC200 or PC220 is a great machine. Most komatsu units' undercarriage/frame, on average, has more weight in it that other machines in its class, offering a more stable flatform. This enables the machine to be more comfortable for the operator, and less overall wear associated with vibration. Komatsu also uses monitor panels that self diagnose. That means that you can tell what the codes mean without a tech coming out to hook up his diagnostic machine, so long as you buy a shop manual...much less costly than paying the dealership to send a tech out to hook up his computer to your computer.

  29. #29John C.2009-07-05 14:07

    If you want the Komatsu codes you can down load them from this site. http://www.constructioncentric.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1187540925 As far as the sales pitch there is very little difference in any manufacturer's car bodies and house. The places where big differences exist is in the hydraulic systems and electronics packages. Today all manufacturers have good electronics packages and most have very good hydraulic systems. The other major difference in machines concerns the dealer networks and factory support. Most will require you to have a field mechanic come out and troubleshoot your machine. Many will try to talk you through the easy problems over the phone before trying to convince you to take that $1,000 hit for the mechanic. Excavators have a finite life span that can be shortened by bad operators and lousy maintenance. Your best buy is in finding a machine with lots of life left.

  30. #30Szyman2009-07-08 14:36

    We bought a CAT 321C LCR 2005, price was really good, and short counterweight is a bonus for us. What do you think about this machine ??

  31. #31MrElectric032009-07-11 19:34

    Id look into a PC200 or PC220 as well. Ive worked on many excavators but I like the Komatsu products the most. We have a couple -8s which operate extremely smooth...however I advise you to check on dealers in your area, even a good machine can turn to a bad machine without a good dealer.

  32. #32Bellboy2009-07-12 13:04

    Having actually noticed where you are located, go for Doosan, Volvo or Liebherr. Find the cheapest, best looking, strongest and run with it, IMO. Doosan: DX225NLC / Solar 225 LC-7 Built for operators (comfy) One tough machine Volvo: EC210B or C(?) Built for cold, sound engineering Liebherr: Not sure of the model, but also sound engineering Please go for Doosan, I want to see some pics of the DX 225 actually working, not in a brochure. . .

  33. #33Ryanrb252009-07-22 07:21

    we use a EC 240 Volvo. around about 8000H. Very smooth machine. We have a brand new 21T Sumitomo and the volvo in every way is better than it. The 21T maybe a bit quicker but the Volvo in terms of breakout, Balance and outright smooth operation beats it every time with 8 times the hours on it.

  34. #34barklee2009-08-04 21:41

    cat has excellent dealer network and parts availability

  35. #35case9030b2009-08-06 00:12

    I hope its the 9030b case i just brought!!

  36. #36case9030b2009-08-06 00:22

    new (old)machine Im planning on doing large tree removal with this machine,come with a powertilt Q/hitch,mud bucket,gp bucket,digging bucket,grab and a ripper machine has a 6cyl cummins and has 4000hrs tracks and drive gear is really good.Hope it goes ok as its my first machine and ive put my savings plus a bank loan to buy it!! Cant upload pictures here??

  37. #37TopDeadCenter2009-08-06 08:06

    Another item to consider is what is your machine going to be worth when you decide to dispose of it? I'm not sure what the resale values are in Europe but I know that here in the SE US that within about 10% accuracy we know what our machines will sell for at the end of their life cycle. We try to stick with the top 3 manufacturers of any class of machines. I know what my 5 year old Cat with 10,000 hours is worth. What is the resale value of a Doosan of comparible age and use? I couldn't tell you...

  38. #38biodole2009-08-06 23:02

    Hey there...I have a 2002 Kamatsu PC128 - what is the button combination to access the self diagnosis on the monitor panel? I know its 2 buttons simultaneously I believe. Also, is there a link somewhere that I can find the error codes for this particular unit? I'm not sure which DASH series this Kamatsu is - can you help? Thank you! :drinkup

  39. #39MrKomatsu2009-08-07 07:25

    most likely it is a dash 6...what is the serial # please....and it is spelled.Komatsu...lol is it a US or A UU?

  40. #40biodole2009-08-07 12:33

    hey there. Its a Komatsu pc128us-2 I believe. I'll get you the serial number shortly. Thanks!

  41. #41noah2009-08-15 18:52

    I ran a 160 volvo it seemed a little weak

  42. #42B&R Equipment2009-08-19 15:55

    Now days it just depends on how much you want to pay? All excavator manufacturers are completing for the same...for instance when one comes up with a great idea then the others will follow.

  43. #43dayexco2009-08-20 16:19

    let's say, comparable sized/horsepowered machines, brand "c"....sells for 150k, brand "x" sells for 120k.....up front, you save 30k, right? let's say both loans are for figuring sake....are at 5%....at the end of 5 yrs, you'll have given brand "c".s finance company, or your bank, an additional $34k in interest....that's $64k over the 5 yrs...the cost of money has to be included in the overall cost per hr. of operation, not just repairs and resale value.

  44. #44hawk2812017-11-12 19:50

    Hello there. I have a 220-5. I am having trouble with a loud vibrating humming noise. Everyone I use the left track or bucket function or when ever there is a use for both pu,psychological to operate one function. And the left track and bucket are weak when the noise is herd. L I keep a check valve or something not closing and it is hammering in the seat of the valve letting go oil bypass some place. Thank you for your help Jeremy

  45. #45MrElectric032017-11-12 21:16

    Hi Jeremy, Did it all of a sudden start this or is this a new to you machine? Sounds like your pump is going out. First thing i would do is let the machine sit overnight and before starting it pull the bolt on lid off of the hydraulic tank (not retrun filter lid, the other one)and pull the strainer up(long metal rod in the center). If you have brass material stuck in the strainer then most likely the pump is chewed up. The pump is two sections, one track is on each section, like two pumps in one. The proper test would be to lift one track off the ground at a time, spray paint the top end of one track pad on each side. Now let the track get a running start and use a stop watch to time five rotations of the track. Do this on each side. I’d bet the side with the noise will be considerably slower. If so you’ll need a replacement pump and to flush your hydraulic tank. Also look on top of your pump where the hoses hook to that go to the control valve. Some times there are high pressure strainers installed here and will have a big cap on the end. You can remove the cap and pull the metal strainer, also see if this is packed with brass and metal. If you have a pump failure and don’t have high pressure strainers you’ll want to flush the entire hydraulic system, and even if you do have them it’s never a bad idea.

  46. #46John C.2017-11-13 01:06

    Any brass in the suction strainer usually means the pump has a catastrophic problem. I've seen where someone dumped dirt in the tank and it caused a bunch of noise. There are no discharge strainers in a Dash 5. If the strainer is clean I think I'd plug gauges into the pump outputs and see what you get when you run the track. Those pumps are noisy anyway but more noise on one with slow function is usually a very bad thing. That Dash 5 is over twenty years old so it has probably done its best work years ago.