I have a V50B Serial 81M4397, which has the manual gear grinder forward and reverse lever. Right below the lever is a long portion of the linkage rod that is threaded and double nutted to control the distance it can go forward and back. Further down the linkage is all worn and sloppy such that it feels like the teeth are just barely engaging, tends to pop out, etc. I wonder why these limits near the lever are even there, i.e. why you wouldn't want to push the gears as far as they will go and what the procedure would be for adjusting them.
Not following you? Usually a threaded portion of the rod is just to adjust the lever position in neutral?
Here is a picture, right now it is in the forward position. It would be easy to back the nuts off to make it go farther but I want to know why it is there so I don't adjust it too far, if possible.
Ah! I see what you mean, not at all what I expected. First guess would be they had too much leverage and could break something in the transmission control so they designed a cheapy stop system. I think as long as you're not putting undue pressure on the the control at the end of the linkage it should be fine.
Probably right, I supposed this thing is designed to get slammed back and forth 1000 times a day and it might be hard on the transmission after a while. I guess I will just back the nuts off all the way and see how far it can go, then tighten them up so that it is not hitting the end of travel in the transmission and see how that goes.
That should work.
Why not just remove the "worn and sloppy" linkage you refer to and drill it oversize with larger pins; or drill and bush it back to original size pin. You should then be back to OEM/factory linkage movement. Also it an operator would clutch the truck and stop it; shift to reverse, release clutch, then accelerate the old thing would still be shifting after the operator died of old age. Just saying.....