Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Values for acceptable cylinder drift and swing gear backlash?

fastline ยท 2020-11-20 10:57

Just doing a little assessing of the 322. I do realize my tested values are certainly 'acceptable' and I don't have concerns, I just realized I cannot really find the data. Boom drift tested by having stick mostly vertical with boom slightly off ground. Drift is about 1" in 18hrs. For swing backlash, boom/stick out, bucket close to but off the ground. Used tape measure and push and pull on bucket. Total movement is 2" or +/- 1", however you prefer. I will get to the slew ring play soon.

Replies10
  1. #1uffex2020-11-20 12:23

    Good day fastline Attached is some information that may help you can find more on the website. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2Nige2020-11-20 13:49

    In the case of your 322 see the table for drift limits over a 5-minute period with an empty bucket and set as per the diagram below. Hydraulic system should be at normal operating temperature.

  3. #3fastline2020-11-20 17:18

    Holy cow! That is a LOT of acceptable drift when new! I suspect if they actually did that, there would be many unhappy owners. I don't think I need to mark the cylinders because the movement at the big end doesn't even get to these levels. I realize that is when warm so I might do a little more testing.

  4. #4uffex2020-11-20 18:18

    Good day folks Those specifications especially for the stick (Arm) negative I find somewhat surprising. I am not privileged to a 322 hydraulic schematic but I hazard a guess the arm has a logic valve to the negative side, the only possibility of leakage would be the cylinder & shock valve. 15 mm over 5 minutes a typical figure for a similar size excavator. Just an observation not a criticism. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5uffex2020-11-20 18:24

    I have interpreted the information to be as the arm extends it could be interpreted the opposing direction. KR Uffex

  6. #6Nige2020-11-21 06:51

    Remember it's supposed to be a digger not a f'kin crane ..........

  7. #7John C.2020-11-21 11:08

    They put load locks on the boom and stick cylinders because people are using excavators as cranes. I've seen many excavators now days with load chart decals on the boom side windows.

  8. #8fastline2020-11-21 15:23

    That is exactly what ours has but even our old 225 had that decal. I suspect not many operators ever observe that chart. I recall running numbers 15yrs ago for a 365 lowering concrete storm boxes. A little nerve racking. And yes, after some testing, it seems that the boom and stick must have checks on them and the bucket does not. After leaving it in a calculated position over night, the boom/stick did not move, but I set the bucket teeth horizontal and the bucket curled up a little. At the tip of the teeth, it moved 3". That was over about 18hrs but 50F oil temps. Conclusion there I guess is try not to utilize the bucket cylinder in lifts because it is probably not protected from line failures like the boom and stick.

  9. #9John C.2020-11-21 18:07

    Around here they put lifting eyes on the quick couplers for lifting.

  10. #10fastline2020-11-21 21:37

    Yeah, this one does not yet have one. Working on that. We pushed that 365 on those box lifts and needed the extra capacity so we did indeed run a lift eye on the QC for those.