Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Valve Stem Extensions

sims · 2018-09-14 07:54

I have an 1845C and it has a combination of wheels with the valve stems on the inside and on the outside of the wheels. The only way I can fill/check the tires on the inside valve stems is to remove the wheel. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck running valve stem extensions on their skid steer? I was thinking about getting a right angle extension and tucking it close to the rim so it wouldn't foul up on brush and sticks. Any suggestions?? Thanks. SimS

Replies10
  1. #1phil3142018-09-14 09:00

    Sounds like you've got the wrong rims on your machine. Having them on the inside is just plain wrong. If it was me, I'd find a pair of correct used rims and swap the tires over. Or I'd take the rim off, weld up the old stem hole, and drill a new one on the outside, then hose it down with some power tan. I run valve extensions on my inside dually wheels. It's the only way to get to them. It works but it still is a pain to check/fill them.

  2. #2sims2018-09-14 09:45

    Phil, DOH! You make too much sense!! I guess I was over thinking the problem/solution. You're correct in that this old beast has two different types of rims . Next time I get a flat I'll convert /drill them out. Thanks. SimS

  3. #33X82018-09-14 09:52

    Maybe someone has the wheels turned around or maybe you can just turn the wheels around? (If they are the type you can do that with)

  4. #4Rob Gunn2018-09-14 10:48

    If you do turn the rims around and have the tires off anyway, I would weld some stem protectors on. I just used a 2" length of 2x2 square steel tubing. I have done this on all of the 4 bobcats that I have had and it really helps. Especially when your bushing brush and have limps hitting the cab and tires.

  5. #562oliver2018-09-14 14:00

    Definitely do what Rob Gunn said

  6. #6hosspuller2018-09-14 14:40

    Take the tires off before welding … See the thread welding on rims.

  7. #7sims2018-09-14 18:14

    10-4 on the welding a mounted tire. No bueno. I have been converting all my flat tubeless tires to tubes. So I will completely dismount the tire. Thanks. SimS

  8. #8DIYDAVE2018-09-14 20:10
  9. #9Old Doug2018-09-14 21:26

    You dont have to weld up the other holes they make plugs or just leave the old stems. Unless you are doing somethig real bad dont worry about stem potecters i have worked in a tire shop and its not a big deal.

  10. #10Bumpsteer2018-09-14 22:29

    Weld on a pipe nipple then you can put a cap on it, 100% protected. Ed